epoxy shield floor covering

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Hartwig

Reaction score
anybody used the Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield for their garage floor? How does it work/hold up to conditions? Any tricks to apply it? thanks

I was going to install that stuff on the floor of my new garage but the surface had such a poor quality of surface, I just put rubber mats down instead.

Now I have 2 boxes (or is it 3?) sitting around that I need to get rid of. If you didn't live so far away (Freeport), maybe we could work out a deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
actually Uncle Bob, I live in Freeport, IL and I see you are in CA. Besides, I have 2 boxes already so I should be fine. THanks for the offer though. I think I will do all the cleaning today and then apply thepaint Friday. Hope it works alright.

my neighbor is a profesional Terrazo installer (bricklayer union). they use mostly all expoxy now and II asked him the same question. His response was if you have ANY oil, grease or gas stains on the cement, it wont stick. IT will pop and peel.

IF you want to put it down right, count on the garage/shop being out of comission for maybe a week or so. With all the cleaning and degreasign you'll be doing, you want the floor to have plenty of time to dry, inside and out. It only takes a few hours to do an average sized garage, and the cure time isn't too terribly long, and the smell (from what I remember) wasn't bad.

I've used epoxy floor coverings in industrial applications and it has held up really well, even in the REALLY high traffic foot areas. It has peeled and bubbled up in some locations because the floor wasn't oil/grase/water free, which given the location it was put down, is near impossible.

I layed down some epoxy into my new garage about a month ago and have been very happy with the results. The most important step is cleaning and prepping the floor. Be sure to really brush (with stiff bristle brush) the floor with the cleaner provided in the kit. It lays on just like a paint. I laid it down a little thick and it looks great once the decorative chips are applied. Drying time is crucial too. Allow adequate time for all of your steps. I've dropped power tools, shelves and ladders on my new floor and it is holding up. I park two large vehicles in it too and so far so good. It can be a little slick when wet but for the money, its well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a good point Ron, it can be very slippery when wet, or oily...espically with flot bottomed shoes, so just be a little more careful compared to raw concrete.

One kit is all i needed to cover a 2 1/2 car garage easily. The kit states 250 sq. ft. so one should do a large 2 car garage.

don't get carried away with the flakes when you start.......or you'll run short as you get near the end. (experience speaks)

I used the beige kits (2) about 3 years ago on a new concrete floor.it has held up well. be sure to take the time to fill and smooth any cracks with some suitable filler...seems that even the small cracks are very noticeable.

I used 2 kits on my 2 car garage. I used the grey color. It has held up well except for some places where the car wheels rest. Hot tires can cause it to come up a bit. Like all said, cleaning oil stains, etc. is important and making sure it is completely dry also. I put down some 1'x1' pieces of rubber mat where the tires rest.

My buddy does garage floors for a side job. He says this stuff is garbage. The stuff he used is about $500.00 for enough material for a 24x28 garage and will last about 20 years at least. I'm not sure of the name though.

I used it on my patio several years ago and it still looks good. Of course it doesn't take the abuse a garage floor would. I agree that you need to clean the floor very well and get all the petroleum stains out of it.

Latest posts