Enjoying the holiday? Thank a Union member!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank screwyourednecks

Reaction score
If you are enjoying a day off today...thank a Union member. Unions: the people who brought you "the weekend"

In the United States, Philadelphia carpenters went on strike in 1791 for the ten-hour day. By the 1830s, this had become a general demand. In 1835, workers in Philadelphia organized a general strike, led by Irish coal heavers. Their banners read, From 6 to 6, ten hours work and two hours for meals. Labor movement publications called for an eight-hour day as early as 1836. Boston ship carpenters, although not unionized, achieved an eight-hour day in 1842.

In 1864, the eight-hour day quickly became a central demand of the Chicago labor movement. The Illinois legislature passed a law in early 1867 granting an eight-hour day but had so many loopholes that it was largely ineffective. A city-wide strike that began on May 1, 1867 shut down the city's economy for a week before collapsing. In 1868, Congress passed an eight-hour law for federal employees, which was also of limited effectiveness.

In August 1866 the National Labor Union at Baltimore passed a resolution that said, "The first and great necessity of the present to free labour of this country from capitalist slavery, is the passing of a law by which eight hours shall be the normal working day in all States of the American Union. We are resolved to put forth all our strength until this glorious result is achieved."

Gee. No wonder the corporate culture hates labor!

But we still have a way to go:

The United States is the ONLY advanced economy that does not guarantee its workers any paid vacation time, according to a report by the Center for Economic and Policy Research. As a result, 1 in 4 private-sector workers in the U.S. do not receive any paid vacation or paid holidays.

The report, No-Vacation Nation, by Rebecca Ray and John Schmitt, finds that European workers are legally guaranteed at least 20 paid vacation days per year, with 25 and even 30 or more days common in some countries.

The gap between paid time off in the United States and the rest of the world is even larger when legal holidays are included. The United States does not guarantee any paid holidays, but most rich countries provide between 5 and 13 per year, in addition to paid vacation days.

Relying on businesses to voluntarily provide paid leave just hasn't worked, said John Schmitt, senior economist and co-author of the report. It's a national embarrassment that 28 million Americans don't get any paid vacation or paid holidays.

Remember, this is not the time to be grateful for what little you have. This is the time to fight.

Oh yes, and another thing. Reform healthcare!! Get the fat cats' hands and the corrupt insurance companies out of the cookie jar! 20 dollar aspirins, and the mass fraud cannot continue!

Have a great day!

In addition to that, from Yahoo News:

The Sad Story Behind Labor Day

by Claudine Zap

Sep 4, 2009

For most of us, Labor Day means backyard barbecues, weekend sales, and a last carefree day before school starts. But the laid-back holiday has some seriously sad history, including chaos, riots, and even death. Let us explain.

A tragic tale

Back in the days of the Industrial Revolution, workers were expected to put in 12-hour days, seven days a week (yes, including kids). Already sounds awful, right? It gets worse. In Pullman, Illinois, a company town that employed and housed workers to build posh railway cars, times had gotten tough. In response, George Pullman cut jobs and wages. It was 1893. Thousands of workers walked off their jobs in protest, demanding higher salaries and lower rents. Other unions joined, refusing to work the Pullman cars, turning the small-town fracas into a national fury.

With mail cars backing up, and riots worrying train execs, President Grover Cleveland stepped in. He declared the strike illegal and sent 12,000 troops to break the strike. Cue brutal protests and bloodshed. The strike was broken, but so was the spirit of the workers. To reach out to the labor movement, Congress rushed the national holiday into law. The bad will resulted in Cleveland losing re-election. But the day off for hot dogs endures.

When is it?

Labor Day falls on the first Monday of September. This year, that would be Monday, September 7. According to the Department of Labor, Congress passed an act in 1894 making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday.

So, working stiffs everywhere, say it now, with feeling: Happy Labor Day.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh noooooooo :rolleyes:

just when things were getting quiet.

well, enjoying the day by catching up on some sleep. now going out and washing the 'scape.

Yeah, Frank has a knack for picking the most inopportune time to sling a post.

Did Gavin hail your Escape taxi service today gary?:lol:

dave,

:lol: , no but yesterday when i was in manhattan, there were plenty of hybrid escape taxi's running around and clogging traffic :angry:

Great day

Went over to Lowes at 7 am, hauled me back two mexicans to bust up a concrete patio.

Nice to see people that actually want to work.

Bill Barber,

Of course you paid them a living wage, right?

As their employer did you have them fill out a W-9? Will you be paying workmen's comp, and the employer portions of SSI and Medicare for them?

Or maybe they were contract workers, and if so, you will be sure to send them and the IRS a 1099 before Jan 31, 2010, right?

;)

TJR

Don't listen to TJR bill. From what I've heard lately, you'd be seen as a racist, harassing illegals.

Hate crime comes to mind!

Related to paid vacation, paid holidays, my company has always had a "shut down" week, between Christmas and New Years. These have been given as paid days off.

This year, the offices will still be closed, and people are to still take the time off, but we just found out last week that we either have to use vacation time, or not get paid for the time off.

Of course, we are non-union. The worst part of the whole thing is that the holiday schedule went out the end of last year, for this year, as it has year after year, and had that time included in the schedule. People have been counting on the time off, with pay, all year, and many planned it into their other vacation schedules. So now, with less than 4 months remaining in the year, folks get told a whole different story.

We were also told matching 401k payments would stop.

This news was on top of the salary freeze that started in January (when I was due a merit increase).

There have been lay-offs. Everyone is doing more work, now for less money (effectively).

But, no salary cuts, persay, at least not yet (knock on wood).

Still, I can vote with my feet. Union representation would be nice, but given that most of the time I don't need them, but I would have to pay my dues ALL OF THE TIME, I won't cry for them too much.

TJR

8 Bux an Hr, lunch, sodas, a beer at the end of the day, free ride from and to lowes.

absolutly on the 1099s.

4 hrs work, 36 bux x2, the feds will get there share for sure.

BOO HOO TJR

Been self employed all my life, never a paid vacation, matter of fact have had no vacation in 9 yrs, no sick pay, no PTO, No health Insurance.

And I pay a shitload of money in self employment tax every year,

geeez bill,

at least 10 an hour here on long isle with the ride and lunch.

you have to wait latter in the morning to get 10 an hour :)

gary, believe me, i tried to find two legal Americans to do the job @ 15 an hr.

But they wanted a compleate benifit package, that inc, would have set me back at least 50 bux an Hr.

Bill Barber,

Was self-employed my self for many years. I know the ropes.

When you are self-employed you have many advantages....the primary being that you make it or break it by the sweat of your brow. If times are good, and yes, times are often good, then as a self-employed businessman you can bank well. However, if times are bad, and sometimes they are, the only security you have is that which you have created for yourself (that which you have put away for rainy days).

When employed you get a little more security (or maybe it's just a security blanket), and you get to work for and within a larger organization potentially doing things you couldn't do yourself. Working for a company used to mean a more "well known" compensation and benefits package...something that is rather static, and one can count on. Of course, that has largely not been the case for many companies the past 10+ years, especially small to mid-size companies.

I guess what I am saying is that having been on both sides of the fence, therefore I don't look at either situation with contempt (like a statement like "boo hoo" implies), but instead recognize that both situations have their pros and cons, expectations and "rules" so to speak.

TJR

Worked my first 18 years without a scheduled Holiday Off. Got about a third off the last 12 years. Now I'm retired and don't get any Holidays Off. I guess I can thank the unions for not getting any mail today. No bills is a good thing. :D:D:D

Happy Labor day to All.

We were also told matching 401k payments would stop.

Im jelous:). 30 of the 36 yrs in the plant were for a division of Mobil chemicals, as a union worker. No matching funds to my 401k at all.

TJR, Not picking on you. Down south (Texas) the unions arent as strong as some think.:D;)

Union??? No thanks. I've been employed by a great company for 25 years now. Great pay, great bennies, and an awesome employer when it comes to military time off. Don't need a union to screw that up.

Enjoying the holiday? Thank the members of our armed services(past & present)! Without our armed forces, our Constitutional rights and our freedoms a union doesn't mean squat!

Last edited by a moderator: