Engine won't rev past 2500 RPM

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Cabrera

Reaction score
Today I took the Trac out for a ride to the UPS store. When I pulled out of the parking lot on my way home I realized the truck felt weird.

In drive, if I accelerate she bogs down. In park I try to rev it and it won't go parst 2500 rpm.

It also has a strange smell to the exhaust. She is not throwing any codes.

A few month ago I did change the PVC valve & tube as she would not stay running.

Anyone have any clues as to what to look for? She ran great to the store & I wasn't pushing it.

There is a rev limiter that will not allow the engine to exceed the 2500 RPM mark when not in gear.

So what you are experiencing is perfectly normal...

The rev limiter is something Ford to ensure people didn't over rev the motor thus giving the name Exploder. It's supposed to be that way.

If your truck is boged down and you have a egg type smell from the exhaust that indicates your cats are clogged and starting to go bad.

I replaced my factory cats and pre-cat y-pipe with Random Technology's stainless steel pre-cat delete Y-pipe and stainless steel single high flow cat and it's made a huge improvement.

Todd Z sells them on Zabteck - site sponser.

After I wrote this, I went to work on it & realize the rev limiter was in this. I first noticed the problem in drive when she would bog & not go over 2500 rpm without stalling. I had to drive it home slowly with minimum gas pushing.

BTW Jerry the smell was more like burning paper

Actually it turn out that it was a combination of a few things.

#1 the IAC was dirty

#2 the MAF was dirty too

#3 My intake tube had a leak in it.

I used MAF cleaner for the fist two (I even cleaned the throttle body) and I replaced my aluminum intake with the OEM rubber one.

I ran the Trac after the cleaning & everything cleared up she even chirped the tires

Trac is BacK!

:banana:

Last edited by a moderator: