Engine Upgrades

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todd Z put headers on his ST, and found that there was absolutely no difference in performance. A lot of members here have put on the Y-pipe and like it. I recommend a CAI of your choice, and a single-in / duel-out cat back exhaust system that gives you the sound that you like. Also, the SCT XCalibrator II or III tuner is a very good investment. The ZabTek throttle body works well too for better air flow.

:banana:

The Y-pipe replaces the two pre-cats with straight pipe for less exhaust restriction. The main cat stays and I am told the truck will still be emissions legal with this setup.

Headers don't help much simply because the stock manifolds flow pretty good already. If they cost $250 I'd jump on them but JBA is the only company that makes them and they cost $650.

As far as bang for the buck, the Y-pipe will get you more improvement than headers and for less money. I'm not saying don't get the headers if you want them, it's your money.

And of course a cat-back exhaust. There are more choices for Gen 1's. I have a Gibson on mine but it is the only one available for Gen 2's. Gibson, Heartthrob, and I think Magnaflow make kits for Gen 1's or you can always get a custom system bent up. The Heartthrob is a dual out-the-back system. J.C. Whitney has it.

Latest posts