Engine turns over easily, but will not start

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Smith 3

Reaction score
I have a 2001 sport trac. It has been having an intermittent starting problem mostly cold but only hot once. It will take 1/2 to 1 hour to get it to start, then runs like a diesel for about 20 seconds. I took it to the dealer and they did a major tuneup, cleaned intake manifold, replaced fuel filter, plugs, wires etc. aprox 900.00 worth of repairs. Ran good for about 3 weeks before it happened again. I used the information from your web site to trace the problem to the fuel pump, BUT I called for a rollback to take my Sport Trac to the dealer. it was 18 degrees this morning. He tried to start it himself, it just turned over but never started. He smiled at me and said to open the gas cap then reinstall. He turned the key and it started rite up. He told me that the gas and gas vapors get warm and expand. When it sits over night they cool, causing higher vacuum in the tank then is normal.The gas pump can not pump to working pressure. This is a new one on me. I will try this the next time it will not start and see what happens. Who knows maybe this is a quick easy fix. I will let you know I make out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you do that, Try pressing the throttle 1/4 and crank the engine.....

IF it starts it could be the IAC valve needs replacing or cleaning..

ALSO can try the "fuel Prime" ......

Turn the key on to the run position, BUT DO NOT start and wait 3-5 seconds.

Repeat that 2-3 times and then crank the engine...

Just a thought..

Todd Z

Your tow truck driver has no idea what he is talking about....that's why he is driving a tow truck and not fixing cars. Even if what he said had any truth to it the amount of vacuum that would be produced in the tank is probably less than 1". The fuel pump will easily be able to overcome this

Probably the leaking fuel pump that was so common in the 2001 model Sport Tracs. The pump i sin the fuel tank and it leaks pressure slowly overnight...The longer it sits the lower the pressure gets.

Turning on the key and immediately attemption to start the engine will usually result in easy cranking but not starting.

The cure to try is: Turn on the ignition key and wait for about 15 seconds. That will allow sufficient time for the fuel pump to build up some pressure.

Now turn the ignition key completely off and then back on and try to start the engine. If it fires immediately, you probably have the old leaking fuel pump and it needs to be replaced.

The longer you limp around with the bad fuel pump the worse the condition will get until you cannot start the engine, but that should prevent you from having to call a tow truck, just don't wait too long.

...Rich

It did it again. Tried the cap trick, it did not work. Tried all the other things suggested, but no luck.I did get it started after 1/2 hour.I heard the fuel pump start this time.Took it to the dealer to have the fuel pump replaced. I would change it out myself but too cold and too much snow in MD to do the repairs on the street. I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by a moderator: