Engine Troubles

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgie Hidalgo

Reaction score
why hello there!!!!! its been a while guys ive disappeared...school is my new girlfriend. Without further ado...heres my problem. My car shut off on me about 2 months ago. i was at a red light and when i accelerated and when i got to 35mph it shut off completely. Like steering wheel locked and all that good stuff. So i had it checked out, wasnt the alternator. Ive done a computer scan twice at 2 different mechanics and no codes show up. It happened to me again 3 weeks ago but that time i was going 20mph. Mechanic says might be fuel pump but doesnt want to replace it if hes not sure its the pump cause thats an expensive piece. So what to do? Im scared every time i drive that itll shut down on the highway or something. Being scared in your own car isnt fun lol. The "symptoms" its having are that its relatively slower. Also the pedal seems harder to push as if the car weighs alot and is towing something. Kinda dances when idle too..kinda like kicks and the rpm's dance sometimes but not too dramatic id assume thats the car taking in air. Any suggestions would be great

Are you talking about your Sport Trac or another vehicle? Need some more info, is it making a louder noise when idling or accelerating? Could be a number of things, fuel filter, transmission, rearend.

sorry lol yea my generation 1 ST. 2002. 91,000 miles. no loud noise when on idle just like a little rumble. when accelerating its tougher to accelerate its not like it used to be. idk maybe cause its getting old?

Try changing out the fuel filter and get the trans flushed and new filter. Fairly cheap fixes that can possibly help resolve the problem. If you can think of any other symptoms it would help narrow down the problem. 91k isn't that many miles, check all fluids, rearends(F/R), etc... :banana:

If your mechanic can't diagnose a possible fuel supply issue it is time to find a new mechanic. he should have done a pressure and volume test and if that proved inconclusive he should have done a current ramp test on the fuel pump...if it is starting to go bad the current ramp test will show it.

When it shuts off does it just instantly shut off like someone turne the key off or does it start to lose power and then die? Really makes a difference when trying to diagnsoe.

Agree with L1tech. Sounds like you need a new mechanic. Guessing and changing parts are not acceptable ways to diagnose problems, and this gets expensive and tiresome very quickly.

I'd take it to a modern independent shop or a Ford dealer and tell them you want the best mechanic to look it over, diagnose the problem(s), and give you an estimate for needed service and repair.

I had this issue around 80K miles.

I would have a rough idle at lights, rpms would drop, and eventually the car would shut off. Never had it happen while moving. Sometimes it wouldn't start back up right away. I was off at college so I drove the car home (5 hours) dropped it off at my parents and took my mothers car for about 3 months.

I picked the car up and haven't had a problem since. Not sure what the problem was as I wasn't living at home or talking to the guy who fixed it, but he resolved the problem. I'd like to hear from some others who might have had this issue.

oh yeah mines an 03 2wd

Jerry Gerner: no other symptoms that i can think of. the main thing it did that worried me was that it shut off on me while going 35-40mph. luckily no one was behind me and i had time to pull over to a corner.

L1tech: yea it shuts off normal. and the 2 times it happened to me i just pulled over and waited a minute then turned it right back on. somethings not right...just the way its driving worries me. the way it heavily accelerates, the way it rumbles when idle.

so its recommended i take it to Ford? i wont have this truck that much longer. when i graduate i get my new car but thats not til august 2011. so its gotta last me 9 more months. Thanks for the suggestions guys

What do you mean steering wheel locked up. Did it get hard to turn or did you put it in PARK and it wouldn't come out? Just asking since that could point to electrical problems instead of mechanical problems.

I am not sure if shuts off normal means that it instantly dies when the problem occurs or if it stumbles and bogs and then dies as there is nothing normal about a vehicle shutting off while it is moving. When it dies will it restart instantly or do you have to wait a minute or 2. If it just instantly dies then you are looking at something electricial such as a crankshaft position sensor but if it stumbles and bogs then dies you are more than likely looking at a fuel issue. Find a good repair shop and get it in before it dies on you in the middle of an intersection while you are trying to beat the semi that is coming towards you...going to a dealership is not a guarantee of a good repair shop.

steering wheel locked up by that i mean hard to turn like had to completely put all my force to turn it. and that was all while i was driving i had to turn it enough so that before it stopped rolling i can get to the side of the road. i know its kinda hard to imagine lol but thats all i can describe. when it dies yes it restarts instantly. i would assume its most likely a fuel issue. i guess ill take it to ford. thanks guys

Ok so it restarts instantly...at least I got that much out out of you. Now lets move to on to the stalling issue...does it shut off INSTANTLY or does it sputter and bog and then just kind of die?

If the vehicle restarts instantly after stalling, and by instantly I mean that as soon as you pull over adn put the vehicle in park and turn the key it fires right up...not crank for 5 seconds or so but starts right up...if this is the case it is not fuel related.

Your steering didn't lock up you just lost power assist is all becasue the engine wasn't running.

Don't mean to sound rude but your not really car savvy are you??

haha. stalling issue- shuts off instantly but keeps rolling it obviously doesnt come to screeching halt yea it kinda dies slowly.

"If the vehicle restarts instantly after stalling, and by instantly I mean that as soon as you pull over adn put the vehicle in park and turn the key it fires right up...not crank for 5 seconds or so but starts right up...if this is the case it is not fuel related." -------> yes. i pull over, put it in park, take key out, put key in, and it starts right away.

"Don't mean to sound rude but your not really car savvy are you??"-------> im pretty car savy lol its just a really hard situation to describe. if u had my truck and this happened to you youd have a hard time explaining too. kinda just makes me mad cause i want to fix it and have the money its just idk what to fix thats kind of necessary in order to fix it

I really can't see this being a fuel issue especially since you state that it restarts instantly. Based solely on your description I am leaning toward a crankshaft position sensor.

Over heating ignition electronics. Are you using the SD coil.?

"DISCLAIMER, ALL THIS INFO IS POSIBILITIES"

Latest posts