Engine stumbling on mild acceleration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was understandable; what's confusing is how one can think that running a fuel filter 6.5 times the recommended mileage would not have an adverse affect.

Say what you will about those dummies at [fill-in the auto manufacturer you despise], but they have educated engineers and part of the job is to ensure some levels of reliability and customer satisfaction; hence replacement intervals.

Inspecting the fuel filter is an indication of, well, how much it filtered. To know which change (filter v plugs) fixed the problem, the two changes should be done independently, so that the effect can be observed. (I noted this above in a response to Canadiantrucker502 when I suggested to change the fuel filter first and then, if the problem remains, pursue other remedies.)

Considering the mileage of the parts, I suspect that there would be improvement with both filter and plugs replacement.

I agree with practice as Vic describes - replace "consumables" and wear parts on schedule, and perform scheduled maintenance. With the exception of a failed battery and that thermostat housing, none of my vehicles have failed me (and yes, I know there's an element of luck).

Anyway, it's good that you did get it fixed and can move on to that thermostat housing (speaking of educated engineers).