Engine sometimes won`t start.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
I have had this happen a few times now. From a cold start, Crank engine, turns over normal, but doesn`t start. Turn ignition fully off, and crank engine at 3 to 5 second intervals several times. Then suddenly it cranks and fires right up and runs like normal. Doesn`t act like it was flooded or starving for fuel. Just runs like normal.

Any Ideas???

Thanks,

Erv 01 ST

May also be either the IAC (Idle Air Control) solenoid being dirty and not responding as it should. Or, a bad T/S (Temperature Sensor).

The ECM (the brain) receives the input from the T/S. If it determines it is a cold engine, it will have the IAC open a bit and allow for more air to come into the intake. When that happens, you get more fuel as well.

An easy test is, put you foot on the pedal and BARELY press on it, then try to start it. If it starts right up and keeps running,it is either the IAC or the sensor.

There is a project here at the site on how to clean the IAC..

2001 Job1 Sport Trac's were notorious for having leaking fuel pumps (in the tank) that would loose pressure overnight and would be hard to start in the morning. I know, because I had a 2001 Job1 that had that problem, as well as many of the older folks here.

If you turn the key on for about 10-15 seconds without attempting to crank the engine it will let the fuel pump run and build pressure. Then turn the key completely off before you try to start the engine. The engine should fire right up. It's important to shut the key off after pressurizing the fuel system so that the computer and all the sensors can reset.

I don't think it's the IAC (Idle Air Control valve) because the engine would more likely fire immediately then stall or only run if you held the accelerator down slightly.

If you have the bad/leaky fuel pump you should get it replaced as soon as possible since the problem will only get worse with time until the pump can no longer build adequate fuel pressure. Since you have to drop the fuel tank to replace the pump, you might want wait until the tank is nearly empty. Gasoline weights about 7-8 lbs per gallon so that will make the job easier if the tank is empty.

...Rich

Thanks guys for your ideas. Just went out to check. Truck has been sitting for 2 days.

Turned key to accessory to make sure radio and other things were off. Turned key to "on" to see if I could hear the fuel pump. Pump ran for about 2-3 seconds and shut off. Turned key to off, then tried to start. Wouldn`t you know it started right up. Next time I will try to start it like normal and see what happens.

I will keep ya all posted.

Thanks again

Erv 01 ST:smile0017:

Yes, you only have to turn on the ignition until the pump stops, however some people with bad hearing like me can't here the pump when it's running. That's why I tell them to just turn on the key for about 10 seconds or more. I think the pump will automatically shut off in about 6 seconds, but that seems to very from Trac to Trac.

...Rich

Been dealing with the issue for a year now.Erks me to have to pay 250 bux for a new fuel pump, waste a day installing it, for what most likly is a 5 cent check valve:(

Bill,

I do not remember where I got it, but I bought an in-line check valve for one of my GM customers at one point. We cut the line, using a tool I own, put nuts over the line and made flared end on the tubing and threaded the check valve on.

It was basically a ball bearing inside a tube with a light spring on it. When running, the fuel pushed the ball of a rubber seat. When not running, stopped the fuel from bleeding back...

bill; do you stil have the bright red floormats for sell? This is really a weird site to buy things isn't it?

Thank you bill

thank you bill for talking to me. but bill try to sell me Ford Sport Trac floormats. Not you bill? Sorry today to interrupt you billl. Wrong bill!!!

thank you bill for talking to me. but bill try to sell me Ford Sport Trac floormats. Not you bill? Sorry today to interrupt you billl. Wrong bill!!!