Engine shit on my life pulled it today

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Palacios

Reaction score
Pulled my engine today I started one day in October it was the first few days of cold weather this winter 2016 my engine started real rough and killed it's self within 30 second tried to start it again nothing had 130 psi compression on one side and 0 psi on the other side. So far what I've found from pulling the engine. I'm pulling pieces of my timing chain out wear the time chain bracket is. What was the deal with the plastic and aluminum timing chain? Also big heads up if you disconnecting the engine from the trans you can access the bolts thru where the starter was. Anyways I'm in a huge shit storm thanks ford. I own a 2001 Ford Explorer sport trac. It killed itself at 120,xxx miles. Anyone have any good engine suggestions, swaps, what Evers gonna be easiest I don't need more power or a v8 I just don't want my timeing chain and head gasket to shit on me at 120,xxx mile. Ps I bought my sport trac on Craigslist at 105,xxx for 4,000

Sounds like maybe it had a rough life before you got it. Is it a Job one or Job 2? My 2001 was a job 2 when I had it.

There isn't a specified time to change the timing chain on the SOHC motor I don't think. Usually the chain needs to be done when you hear the chain start to rattle. The guides for the chain are nylon I believe. I think there was a revised design available when you put the new one in.

If you bought it without getting it checked over by a mechanic or without service history documentation, I don't think you can really be mad a Ford for a failure at 120k miles.

The 4.0 SOHC motors are plentiful in junkyards and can usually be found with fairly low mileage on them for a decent price (around 1k complete). Best bet is to source a replacement.

The timing chains usually give fair warning, the idle clacking can't be missed.

If you go with a used engine it might be worth pulling the oil pan and valve cover to see if there are signs of plastic and the condition of the guides, tensioners and chains.

I believe the chains were updated by 2002 or 2003. I would look for a 2003 - 2005 engine.

Just FYI, I broke my engine when I ignored that rattle at 190,000. Timing chains should be replaced based on chain manufacturer's mileage. Apparently, Ford's is 100,000. The newer one was supposed to be good for another 100,000, but apparently mine broke before hitting that mark.

Latest posts