Engine rattle under load or from stop light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I'm having a issue which started today. 105K miles new fuel pump and fuel filter was installed last week. Any time I'm accelerating while in gear/driving, I get a noise like a pinging/rattle or if I'm in motion and go to accelerate say to pass someone, I get the same noise. Its consistent the same noise. Trac is from 2003. Should I be worried about the timing chain or the guides? If it sits for a couple of hours, no noise. using 5w/30 oil. Should I switch to 10w/30 next oil change and see if this goes away?

I do have the 1/2 shorter Gates belt, new idler and tensioner. Any ideas?

Could this be knocking from the cylinders? I'd try a bottle of fuel additive first, and/or a tank of premium fuel. Changing to 10W-30 will have nil effect. 10W-40 would be better.

I will try Seafoam or an additive. This is what is sounds like:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJZ6kKzLus&feature=related">Engine Noise</a>

I will add if I put it neutral and raise the RPM's to 100, 1500, 2000, 2500, and 3000, the rattle isn't present.

Big Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thats when mine started. Same exact thing. I now have 122 thou on it and its still the same. I was.told its the timing chain adjusters. Made outta plastic they seem to break at about 100 thou. Only replacements are the same oe plastic crap so I havent fixed it yet but I hate the uneasy feeling I get every time I hear it... if this is incorrect I sure would like to get 3rd fouth and even fifth opinions. Especially if it entails something easier than pulling the whole front end apart as this is the reason I havent fixed it yet...

It's more then likely the timing chains, there are 3 of them in this motor. I know plenty of members here with way more mileage then that on their original timing chains. It's a very labor intensive job to do and you end up putting the same plastic parts back in. So in conclusion, run it till it dies, which more then likely will be after your done with it. I had them changed under warranty on my 01 Ranger and they had the truck for nearly a month because the Ford techs couldn't even do it right. They screwed up and had to have both heads rebilt and machined. I run 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer and that helps.

link didn't work for me...I like Vic's advice...I have had "labor knocking" "pinging" a few times this summer. Mostly happens to me going up steep hills while cruising around 50mph. (engine under load) The first time I upgraded gas on the next fill up and issue gone. The second time it happened I add Chevron Techron fuel additive and it improved greatly. But not completely gone. Added a little higher octane fuel and issue gone. I always fill up at the same Exxon station. I think sometimes I just get a "bad batch". Also happened once after cleaning and re-oiling my drop in K&N air filter. I cleaned the MAF and disconnected the battery for 20min so the PCM could "re-learn. Issue fixed.

I would definitely try a tank full of premium and a fuel additive.

Also, disconnect the battery and try a relearn. Especially since you had fuel pump and filter just replaced.

It doesn't happen unless the engine is under a load. That's why it's not happening in neutral.

Cross your fingers and hope it's not the timing chain guides. I haven't heard an actual engine with bad timing chain issues. But, I would assume it would be happening all the time. Not just under load. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Edit: link worked. Just had to open in new window

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of an update:

I ran a bottle of Seafoam in and the noise somewhat went away. I can still hear is ever so slightly say merging onto a freeway where I'm between 2 concrete walls. Its noise free but then you will a ping ping, then nothing. Had to do this 3 times for it to act up.

I spoke to an independent heavy engine mechanic yesterday evening (neighbor). He says any 4.0l he has worked on you can hear the time chain if you take off the oil cap and place your ear to the spout. Its sounds like a rusty bike chain smacking on metal. I d hear those types of noises or anything which sounds abnormal either the trac either hot or cold.

Removing the cable method is a get idea too. With in regards to the fuel pump. The trac wouldn't start one morning. Would turn over, but no fire. Check the fuel pressure and was 0 psi. Classic fuel pump failure. I don't believe the shop removed the negative cable either. But who knows.