Engine Popping Noise

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I currently own a 2003 Sport Trac Adrenalin. However, it has been the most problematic vehicle I have ever seen. We have lifted it off the ground seven times this year, opened the hood so many times that I have forgotten the exact number. However, recently the thermostat housing started leaking when I was cruising down the highway and one side of my gauge cluster does not light up so I could not see the temperate at night. Out of chance I squinted and was able to see the temperature starting to rise about a quarter of an inch above where it normally is. I then pulled over and threw more coolant and coasted her home and it didn't overheat the entire way back. After replacing the housing we noticed a "pop pop pop" sound from the intake. Every time it pops the engines revs drop to near stalling. It is also now pouring out a large amount of water from the tailpipe but no white smoke. All the spark plugs were clean when we took them off as well. Is this a sign of a bad head gasket or bad heads? I was planning on ditching the truck as it has had two suspension rebuilds and numerous parts fail to the point of where there is more money into parts than the truck is worth.... At only 67K miles.

I think you're leaking coolant into the intake and the engine is pushing it out the tailpipe. Why it's not hydrolocking is a mystery. A compression check might be a good place to start. Let us know what you find.