Engine Oil Gen2 V8

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
My STA has 150,000km on it now (not a single mechanical issue to date) and I am starting to hear a tapping noise when cold starting, it stops after a couple seconds... I still use the 5W20 recommended but should I be using a thicker oil? I am using synthetic 5W20 with a factory ford filter.

My guess would be that you have a warped exhaust manifold and/or broken manifold studs. What you are hearing is actually an exhaust leak. When the engine warms up the gaps close as the parts expand so the noise goes away. I have had both manifolds replaced on my '07. It's a pretty common problem.

Chris I use 10w30 full synthetic with my STA which has 45k miles. Did you cut your springs? Your STA looks real low (nice).

Ditto on the exhaust leak. Just don't f___ around like I did. Just get the new manifolds and the new, upgraded studs/nuts from Ford. Stick with the recommended fluids for your vehicle. The engine has hydraulic tappets and it may very well have a little valve noise, but once the tappets are pumped up, it will be quiet. Check your manifolds. Bob

What does this cost from the dealer, installed?

Copst, no I didn't do anything with the suspension... now that im looking at it it does look lower than it is... the aftermarket wheels are slightly larger but not enough to make that big of a difference...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts