Engine Loses Power Momentarily, Code P0193

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
Last Friday I noticed that twice, upon accelerating from a stop, my track would start to move fine, then lose engine power for a split second and then run normally. The second time, it tripped my CEL and code P0193 (fuel pressure rail sensor, etc.). I got up the next day, ran to the parts store and got a new fuel filter/tool and swapped it out, and cleared the code/CEL as it was due for a new filter anyway. No issues the rest of Saturday, Sunday, or Monday. However, today, on the way home from work, I noticed the same symptoms, but at highway speeds as well this time (5x in a 25 min drive). Scanned when I got home, but no codes yet.

Unfortunately, there is no schrader valve on the 2004, so I don't believe I have a way to check my fuel pressure. I'm thinking about replacing the fuel pressure sensor, but it's not cheap for a "maybe". The truck idles flawlessly, and other than the split second when the rpm's drop, there is no noticeable difference in the way it runs. Has anyone experienced this?

They have a tool that you disconnect the line and install the tester where you split the line. Autozone will "rent" it for free...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I had seen that thread before, but unfortunately there isn't an outcome posted. The pressure sensor seems like a common failure...from the looks of it many mustang owners keep a spare (same part #) in the car.

Whoops. Sorry for not bringing closure to my previous thread, as closure ended up with me ticked that I paid someone else to do what I could have done myself.

Fuel rail pressure sensor was bad. Also had him swap the fuel filter, as it had been 75K (i.e., since new) without changing it, since it was in the garage. Both regrets as I could have--and should have--done it myself, but I took it to a good friend's garage, and I felt bad about having him pinpoint the issue and then only paying him for the information and not doing the actual work. In the end, the sensor was purchased at a much lower discount than I could have gotten from Torrie/FPN. Lesson learned is to take it somewhere else when I'm even thinking of doing it myself. (Note that you can get the sensor from Fast Parts Network for about $70., or a "used" one, probably from salvage, on eBay for about $35.)

With respect to checking the pressure--my guy disconnected the fuel system at three different points (I forget which) and tested the pressure, which showed that the pump was within specs. So, he isolated the issue to the sensor.

As for symptoms, those mirror mine. Riding on the highway, it blipped out a handful of times (I see you're from Bethlehem--it happened near the Allentown rest area on 476), as well as when driving some hilly backroads (209N off the Jim Thorpe exit), it blipped out when climbing. When it would re-power, the transmission would bump as if it was slipping, but that was caused by the transmission shifting with the power was lost but not completing the shift before it came back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the follow-up Adam. I went ahead and ordered a sensor from Torrie. It looks like there is a new part number than the original, so I'm hoping the new one will arrive and that it's been revised,as it seems this part is a common failure (maybe not so much on tracs, but the other Ford vehicles that use it).

Latest posts