Engine issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
Check engine light came on so I exited the highway and stopped in a parking lot close by.

The engine was making a tapping noise (loud&continual) so I shut the truck off.

I found the main vacuum connector had popped out of the intake so I put it back in.

Checked the oil (all OK) and started it up again......more noise and louder like bolts in a washing machine or dryer. Shut it down and called AAA. me and the truck are home now.

He did ask me to start it and when I did it was awful......tapping, banging ans sound of bolts in the dryer again then it just stopped. I shut it down and asked what did it sound like to him?

He said the noise sounded like it was coming from the front, near the belt or the water pump.

My question is would a water pump make that much noise?

Any ideas of what I may have here?

Thanks in advance,

Bob A.

Bob,,onlyifthe water pump bearings are bad. Then the shaft will wobble leting the impeller hit the inner housing. I had that happen on a 350 chevy motor. Could just be an idler pulley. Might be timing chain guide failure. Allowing alot of chain slop. Worse case would be low oil pressure. If that is the case it doesnt take long for main and rod bearings to burn and loosen up.

Also check the harmonic balancer on the crank pulley. A couple of members had failures this past year.

Thanks guy's, much appreciated!

Only additional thing I can add is that when I pulled over and it was running (with noise) the engine was shaking and sputtering all this time.

Would that indicate timing chain? and if so what might this cost me to get repaired?

I have to make a decision about repair or replace.

Thanks again,

Bob

Some members reported a valve spring breaking, IIRC, and that also would make a helluva racket. If compression pushed back thru the vacuum it might also explain the vacuum line poping off. Just a thought.

Sounds more serious than a water pump, BUT,,, remove the belt and fire it up, you will know if it is internal or external (belt) driven..