Engine is dead

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Upside, at least it waited to break until you got back from Louisville.

If it had died at Louisville, I wonder if Ford would have dropped a new engine in it at the plant. They did fix Don's a/c.

I'm making progress. I got a ROM cost of $3,000 for a rebuilt with a 1 year warranty. He's going to get back to me with a quote later on today.

Check out jasper engine, they usually have locations around your area. Plus the warranty it for 3 years I think, so you know you'll have it last.

Also, there is a national salvage yard chain that'll sell you an engine with a 1 year warranty. I forget who they are, but call around, I know some of the areas around Buffalo have lots of yards and chances are they're owned by the national chain.

The flatbed's on its way over. The shop wants to examine the damage to the engine first, but a low mileage rebuilt will run about $3,400 installed.

Todd,

I did the Ford Reman long block and the final price was $5500. I know it is a little high, but I also got a 3yr/36K mile warrenty with it vs 12mo/12K mile with just replacing the cassettes.

Food for thought.

I'm not planning on keeping the Trac for another 3 years, so the shorter warranty doesn't bother me. I'll probably be replacing the Trac sometime next year. The repair will pay for itself, though. The trade-in value without a running engine is pretty low.

Todd,

Unless your needs change, I don't know why you would plan on replacing it. Don't get me wrong, you do what you want to do. I am just saying, if you drive your Trac another 3 years, that is putting money back into your pocket.

I know the trashed engine sucks, but what you spend on an engine is what you lose driving a new vehicle off the showroom floor. Then you have a monthly payment on the new vehicle.

Even if you buy used, you are still paying a dealers inflated car price. Plus you don't have much of a guarantee on the new (to you) one.

Tom