Engine cross over for 2001 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd ford

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 ST 4x4 that needs an engine the wrecking yards are telling me it is a hard to find engine and has to be ST/4x4/etc. can I take a different 4.0 and change oil pan or other parts to make one fit?

Thanks Todd

My bit - the 4WD engine has a balance shaft and associated gears and timing chain that the 2WD does not. I don't know whether an Explorer 4WD engine has the same setup.

Yardsale is correct, but a 4WD explorer or 4WD ranger should have the balance shaft also, I know my 2000 explorer AWD does, but the intake and thermostat housing are different, find a good engine with a balance shaft and use your intake etc. and see if the wrecking yard will cut the price a little if you remove them and give, them back. The people I usually deal with will. But they all so let me roam the yard and pull parts myself to.. Two of them on sundays when they're closed and Im off work. I bring a six pack and they lend me they're yard dog LOL

The engine change ocurred at the end of June, 2000. That was designated by Job-1 and Job-2 Sport Tracs.

...Rich

Not making a recommendation, but 4.0L without the balance shaft have been put into 4wd Explorers successfully.

302 swap! The v8 from a 2001 Explorer will fit! You will have to change the transmission as well, though. There are people that have done it on here.

Latest posts