Engine braking, transmission problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Wolfe 3

Reaction score
I am not able to use my engine to slow the vehichle when in 4 wheel drive (either high or low). When in 4 wheel drive, if I put the vehicle in 1st gear, it should (and used to) keep the rig from going too fast down a hill. Now it just seems to coast, almost like it is in D rather than 1st. It does this even if I completely stop, then put it in 1st, then release the brakes.

Anyone else have this problem and solve it?

Thanks,

Steve

it is a 2001 with limited slip if that matters.

yes, it slows it in 2wd, not 4wd. I've done a little research of Technical Service Bulletins and it appears I might have found one that relates. Still would like to hear if anyone has solved this problem.

My 01 did that at about 10k. It did it in 2w and 4w. Turned out the gasket on the valve body in the trans. was leaking and did not allow the pressure to build up. There was a problem with some of the early models with the gaskets blowing. They replaced the whole valve body on mine with the new design with the gasket bonded to the valve body. I don't know if this is your problem or not. I would think it would do it in 2 and 4 if the gasket is leaking.

Latest posts