End of the World

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had to choose any single day when the world will end within our lifetime, I'd have to go with April 13, 2029 at 15:46 CDT (give or take a minute).

[Broken External Image]:

That's when asteroid "99942 Apophis" will pass by Earth at a distance of 18,600 miles. That's assuming its orbit and Earth's orbit doesn't change by then. A collision with another asteroid between now and then could knock 99942 Apophis into a closer (or further) orbit.

99942 Apophis is 1300 feet in diameter and will be travelling at 16,695 mph. Its magnitude (brightness) will be "3" as it passes by, making it visible to the naked eye. If it skims the upper layers of the atmosphere, it will look like this: <A HREF="http://www.zjstech.net/~library/4249/tetonmeteor.mpeg"> LINK </A>

On April 13, 2029, we'll have a very bright, large full moon that will be 221,739 miles away from Earth.

The link below shows how close it'll be. Click DATE (a date box opens). Enter "April 12, 2029." Choose "Earth" as the center. Zoom in all the way. Use the sliders on the bottom and right side of the picture.

I agree with McGrady (to a point). We'll never be able to settle that mess,

but at least I hear we have a slightly better than a snowballs chance in hell

of possibly, maybe deflecting an asteroid with a laser or Nuclear Device, if found

early enough!

I'd rather take my chance with a N.E.O.S. any day than a terrorist.

By the way, Mark, 18,600 miles? Isn't that well inside the average man made

Earth Orbiting Sattelite Band?!?! I believe that average is something like 21,500 miles!

I think I saw it referred to as a "Flesh Wound", on the neo.gov. website last time

I was there...:unsure:

Latest posts