Emission Control System Light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Stevens

Reaction score
I just had this light go on. I have an o7' Ltd. 4x4...V6

rather than take the negative cable off for 20 minutes, which will then cause me to have to reset my Avic D3...and more issues,

what should I be looking for...I tried my OB2 scanner and I'm getting error codes..?

I'm going to try it again to see if maybe I can pull the codes but...any suggestions which direction to look if I'm unable to pull codes..?

Thanks in advance...

How many miles? If its under warranty, on your lunch break or when ever a chance, call your dealer and ask them to run a scan. Many times you can still drive the vehicle until the parts are available unless its a hazard.

Whats the age of the scanner your using?

Hey Big Al. I just passed 20K on the odometer. It's still under warranty but from what I've read dealers are charging $50 for diagnosing...(aka) hooking up the scanner and pulling codes, I'd like to avoid this if possible.

I just tried to pull with my scanner and got error message again. The scanner is probably about three years old or so. The light isn't flashing as a hazardous condition, rather; it's just constantly lit.

They should not charge you since the CEL is under warranty. The 50 dollar practice is usually those that are out of warranty. The error is possibly due to the scanners age or the software. But I would assume this repair should be free under warranty.

Yep, my scanner is not "CAN" so time to see what the dealer says. I'll ask them to pull codes and get rid of whatever problem is causing the light to appear. I'v got a 5 year warranty so this should be interesting. I'll tell him to get rid of the Tire Pressure Fault light also. That's something I should have done a long time ago, I supply the results when its done.

Latest posts