Emission Control System light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bendfeldt

Reaction score
I've got an 07 ST with 9,000 miles. The wife and I went out to eat the other night and the place was packed so I parked the ST on a steep hill in the corner of the parking lot. When we left I started the ST and the emission control system light came on and hasn't gone off. I've read the ST owners guide and tried some of the things that it suggests with nothing working. Are there any easy things to try before taking it in to the dreaded dealer?

Thanks

Benny

I had a problem with my 2003 before. My boyfriend said he had this problem with his lightning and so he always just unplugged the battery for about 20 mins and plugged it back in and it went off. You could give it a try, wouldn't hurt anything!

Problem solved. Thanks. I had half thought about disconnecting the battery myself I guess I just needed somebody else to tell me that. Unhooked it for about 20 minutes as you suggested and while I was waiting I cleaned the mouse nest out of my air cleaner, put everything back together and now everything seems fine. Thanks again!!

Benny

To take it a little further...

I also have an 07 4.6 V8 but I have just over 30,000 miles.

I've had similar problems with mine -

1. The traction control light under the radio went on a few times - one time - while I was braking - the brakes were in anti-lock mode but I was just VERY LIGHTLY braking. It was weird. I was just slowing down - not pressing the pedal hard at all - but I could feel the pulsating as if I where mashing the pedal. Pulled over and restarted the truck - all was fine.

2. The Left Rear turn signal bulb was bad (that's what the computer told me) - like 4 times. But when I restarted the truck, it went away and all was fine.

3. The Tire Pressure sensor told me several times the tires were low on air - but they weren't.

In all cases, the computer was flaky and a simple restart of the engine solved the problems. I've taken it to the dealer and the problems weren't present (of course).

It's been 4 months with no problems at all... but again, remember - there were never really any problems to begin with - the computer just thought so.