Emergency Brake Pivot Seized? During Safety check...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John A

Reaction score

Hello Everyone,

Well, its been awhile since I posted as my trac has been good to me for the most part, I do regularly check this site for updates and find it very informational...

So it's time that I need some expertise for a issue that I just recieved. I needed to get a safety done on my vehicle so I went to a dealership close to my work this morning, had a shuttle drive me to work... Very good so far...

I just recieved a call from the Service rep who I left my vehicle with and stated that they fixed the alignment of one of my headlights (under waranty) Thank you, they also mentioned that my right rear wheel has seized pivots for the emergency brake? and is currently stuck on the ON position?

My question's are:

- Wouldn't the EBrake light come on?

- Wouldn't I experience squeaks? Noise of any kind?

My Trac has been running fine, It's a 2003 XLT, 2WD, LSD, 4:10 and it only has 30,000KM's...

Any insight on this issue? Has anyone dealt with an issue like this? I'm questioning this as I havent experieced any strange smells from the wheel's, noises, MPG has been the better than when it was new? I'm kind of leary right now with this dealership as they wont give me a safety unless I get this fixed and is this there way of making some extra dollars???

This is why I'm pinging the best of the best, let me know!

Thanks...John A

If they did the safety check and applied the e-brake to do the test then you would have no clue that it is stuck as it happened after you left it.

Unless I am not understanding you correct...

Coastiejoe,

There stating that the Emergency brake for the Rear Right Tire has siezed... That this has been an issue for some time? My questions weren't answered, there's no squeak, no burnt smells from that tire? (It's my thinking what would happen if the EBrake has seized or I could be wrong?) The Ebrake light works as designed?

You would have some sort of a clue I would think. Even if it partially stuck. I personally would not let then do the service until I checked it out myself. I have seen them stick in the past, but as your thoughts go, you normally have some sort of a clue the something is not right.

The light is based on the e-brake moving back up to the stop point. If you have a cable not letting the pedal move I would think the light would be on.

Hmmmm, something not right in Kansas Toto...

E-brake light is triggered by a switch in the cab of the trac based off the position of the pedal. Doesn't really have anything to do with the actual brakes. So no, it wouldn't come/be on.

Coastlejoe / Spaceman Spiff, thanks for the answering the EBrake light question!

I will be picking my trac up before the end of the day, I'll see if I'm able to witness the Ebrake failure on that tire, I'm assuming I should be able to compare with the working ones against the one that they say has failed? Hopefully I should see it?

If one side of the parking brake is caught in the 'on' position, you may never know it. The parking brake in the ST isn't very strong to begin with, and if some debris found a way between the brake cable and the protective sheathing, or rust has developed somewhere, the the brakes may be in the on position, but not actually clamped onto the rotor. The parking brake isn't an "on or off" deal, it's a progressive thing, the more you throw the pedal, the tighter the grip onto the rotor. So you may not ever hear, smell, or sense anything is wrong.

Tiger, Ok then this might be an issue if thats the case... Is this something I'll be able to see with the tire off and engaging / dis-engaging ebrake?

Remember, It's the pivot that's seized, meaning, it could be rusted and all it might need is a little tap and lube spray to free it. If seized in the off position, the wheel on the seized side would spin even with the e-brakes applied. Not sure if you will be able to see it with the wheel off and someone in the cab applying and releasing the e-brake, at least look at the pads on the free side for movement, the pads of the allged seized side, that is if the dealership would allow you at the service bay. Good Luck.

OOOPPPS!!! :( After reading Dreman's, did not realize our e-brake system is that type of set up, with mini shoes. My reply above is based on experiences from Mazda and Honda rear disc brakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't be able to see the brake shoes for the e-brake unless you remove the wheel and the rotor. The e-brake is a separate litle drum brake inside the disc brake rotor, and you can't see it with the rotor in place.

dreman / Regal One, Sounds like I'm at the mercy of the Dealership... Thanks everyone for shining light on this issue! This will be my first expense with my trac other than Gas, Oil, fluids! It was going to happen sooner or later :)

Adding note: So if the dealer didnt remove the Disc brake rotor, they will not be able to see if its siezed? They mentioned the pivot being stuck? Is the pivot visible?

Last edited by a moderator: