Emergency brake issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Santana

Reaction score
Hi folks happy new year... sorry this may sound silly but i changed out my rear rotors last week and found the little drum like e-brake as a suprise.... I used my brake tool as normal to bake the shoes off so i could remove the rotor. What I found was the left side was all rusty and crappy looking,? I lubed it up good not sure how water got in.

My question though is I did not see the little ratchet type thingy to hold the gear on the ajuster. On normal drum brakes tis is the thing which holds the brake shoes apart, you normally crank it up to snug the shoes against the drum. On normal brake sdrums with shoes you need to used a screw driver to

lift the rachet locking thing and then back off the shoes. I see the same type of mechanics on the e-brake but i do not see the ratchet lock. Is there one? If not how exactly do you make the

e-brake ajustment?

Joseymack

joseymack

The ebrake adjustment is just like drum brakes. Pull the rubber grommet off, adjust the brakes, and then put the rubber grommet back on.

Tom

The e-brake doesn't use the rachet system because it isn't supposed to be used as a normal brake to bring the truck to a stop, but is only used to hold the truck in place. Since you don't expect the parking brake shoes to wear out as they are used, the rachet mechanism used to automatically adjust regular brakes shoes is not needed.

And if you ever do need to use the parking brakes as an emergency brake, I would hope you would get the regular brakes fixed, and then re-adjust or replace the e-brake shoes at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Caymen has a good picture of the e-brake shoes in his library. You can see the adjuster in the picture.

Caymen's pictures are from his drum to disk conversion, although it seems to look the same.

Thanks, I understand how drum brake work that is why i could not figure out the whole non-ratchet mechanism..... I think i am all set.

BTW it appears my e-brake may have been stuck in the on position as one of the shoes

on the rusted up side is pretty worn... maybe my gas mileage will increase. :D

Joseymack

Latest posts