electronic flasher- replaced but...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score

Hello,

I recently replaced stop lights with leds and my blinkers starting to blink quicker than normal so I searched web site and recommendation was to replace flasher with the electronic flasher from Auto Zone.

I got it, 12 dollars with some tax and replaced just a couple of minutes ago but now lights are blinking faster than with original flasher.

What happened? Anything I did wrong?

thank you.

Jose

Sounds like a tilt steering issue. Depending on the angle you put your steering wheel at, it can stretch the wires in the column and throw the flashers out of wack. Try putting the wheel in a neutral position and see what happens.

You are going to need to put resistors inline with the wires to the bulbs, this will provide more of a load on the system adn stop the blinkers from blinking fast. the leds draw very little power compared to the stock bulbs and the flashers are not set up for this little amount of load and therefore they think that the bulb is burnt out and blink fast. You other alternative is to get a flasher that is made for use with leds.

I think the flasher I got was designed for leds. At least that's what the box says.

thanks for feedback, Jose

You are going to need to put resistors inline with the wires to the bulbs, this will provide more of a load on the system adn stop the blinkers from blinking fast. the leds draw very little power compared to the stock bulbs and the flashers are not set up for this little amount of load and therefore they think that the bulb is burnt out and blink fast. You other alternative is to get a flasher that is made for use with leds.

Resistors aren't needed if you install the electronic flasher. I did the same thing (LED's/electronic flasher) and everything was fine. I think that it's more of a problem like what HawaiianST suggested. Do some more searching for discussions about this issue here, and you'll probably find more folks who had a similar problem, and odds are you'll find a solution too.

If the lights are lighting up then it would seem as if the wiring in the column has to be ok. Plus the problem didn't occur until the leds were installed. The flasher unit itself is what controls the blink.

Trident Stant" brand electronic flasher "EP27" sold at Autozone is what you need.

I'm using the same flasher with LEDs with no problems. I don't think jose's problem is with the flasher. I'd still look at wiring, or possibly swap out the LED's.

Thansk for all feddback.

I will look more into the way I installed the leds as well as checking what type of flasher I bought from Auto Zone.

Will let all know.

Jose

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts