Electrical problem?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello folks. How is everybody? I have not been around for a while but I am having a strange problem with my truck.

About ten months ago I replaced my battery because of dead cells. The truck runs fine no problems... Then, a few months ago I got in to go to work... turned the key, heard a bzzt-click and lost all electricity. Nothing at all would work. Took the battery out and hauled it up to have it tested... battery good. Got back home, put the batter back in and it starts right up. Have had no problems since... until yesterday when the same thing happened. Got in, turned key, bzzt-click, no electricity, battery out for test, good battery, battery back in, truck starts, all is well so far.

If all goes well today I plan to pull the covers off of the steering column and check the big connector. I may also pull the starter and run it up for a test. Got any other suggestions as to where I should be looking?

Thanks for your time.

-Chris

Don't waste your time yanking parts....

Sounds like the pats system did not read your key properly... Thats the noise it makes when it does not recognize the key being used and you try to start the truck...

Watch the theft light when it makes the noise.... It should be blinking....

Are you using different keys ?? A remote start system with the key under the dash ?? 2 keys on the same key chain ??? 2 keys in the truck at the same time... Like 1 in your pocket and 1 trying to start the truck ??

2 different ford keys on the same key chain ??

Just some thoughts..

Todd Z

The cables and clamps are clean and tight.

Have never noticed if the theft light blinks when it happens. I'll try to remember to keep an eye out for it though. The sound is very short, not like a buzzer or such, just a quick electrical sounding bzzt followed by a soft click noise.

I only have the one key, same one I've always had. No other car keys on my person or in the truck.

Is it possible to beat the pats system to the draw, so to speak? Can the ignition switch be turned faster than the pats system can check the key?

Can the keys "go bad" or lose power in some way?

Since you said you took the battery cables off and put them back on and everything seems to be ok, my thinking is you may have a ground issue near your neg terminal harness.

I had a freaky electrical issue with another car and it turned out to be where all the grounds come up and connect to the neg terminal. Ended up having to cut a connector and splicing all the neg wires to a lug and reattatching them to the terminal.

Latest posts