Electrical Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeremiah Morgan

Reaction score
I replaced the Alternator only due to bad bearings. One time before changing the Alt. out. With the AC on when I made a sharp turn. The battery light came on and lost power steering. Turn straight and its fine. Now after I replaced the Alternator It has done this numerous times. I have had the battery checked and the Alternator checked. I have checked it. Both seems to be fine.

It is the Alt. not putting enough out when it is under that load? OR???

Help me out with some ideas?

Thanks

Jeremiah

My first thought is that since both systems (electrical and power steering) do not have anything to do with each other, BUT are both driven by the common serpentine belt. I would look for some reason why the belt might lose tension during the turn causing excessive slipping to account for both symptoms.

+1 what Bob said...when turning sharply the power-steering pump is under a greater load. Change the belt and check the tensioner.

check both belt and tensioner. You can replace both at the same time since you will have the belt off already. Don't think the pully tensioner is all that expensive from Autozone?

Also sounds as if you are momentarly loosing power in the turn. I had a T-bird that did that. It turned out to be the sock fell off the fuel pump. At 1/2 tank and below the sock lost suction in the fuel tray inside the tank. Found out when the pump quit.

It could be lose of proper idle when turning. Try holding the accelerator down on a sharp turn.

Ok,,, lets try this...

Did you replace the belt at the same time you replaced the alternator????

if so, the belt may be the wrong size by as little as an inch, thus creating all the issues you are having.

Did you compare the two next to each other?

The belt was replaced 2 months ago. Still a good belt. The issue started with the new alternator. But before I did replace it I did take the belt off to find out which part was making the squealing noise. I was the Alternator bearing going bad. Replaced the alternator and the problem is more obvious.

So thinking about it. I have been messing the with the tension a few times. Might have just became weak.

Some members have had electrical problems due to the wires in the steering column being too short and having to pull more slack in them.........??

I agree with most of the previous posts who feel it's probably the belt or pully related problem. Especially after you had to replace the old alternator for bearing problems. That would indicate there may be some kind of belt, tension, or pully missalignment problem.

...Rich