electrical issue(Radio & odemeter)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Dumont

Reaction score
OK, so I noticed in my 05 Sport trac my radio lights are very dim day and at night and also when I go to adjust the brightness my odometer lights flicker from bright to dim randomly. Anyone experiance this issue before?

How are the lights on the air conditioner control panel (below radio)? If they flicker along with the odometer lights and are also dim like the radio, I'd suspect the dimmer switch. If you try the search function, I think there have been discussions about this problem before.

I would check all harness connections.

Most likely dimmer switch, though.

Keep us posted. Whatever you find may help another member.

I'v Searched and have no seen anything related what mine does. The A/C backlights seem normal. As far as the radio lights go does not flicker.. its just constily dim.. and even more dimmer when i turn on the headlights/parklights. Its only the odometer that seems to flicker when i play with the dimmer switch.

Looking to be more the dimmer switch. Try unpluging and repluging the harness.

Also try washing the switch with contact cleaner safe for plastics. Roll the switch while washing it. Disconect the battery though. Some safe for plastic cleaners, have alcohol or other flamables as the base stock.

Of course it is normal for the dash lights to go dim when the headlamps are on. The theory behind that is that if the headlamps are on it must be dark outside. That being the case, you don't want the dash lights bright as that would distract you from your driving.

And naturally there are many things that get in the way of that theory, but it is what it is.

Now, flickering lights would be different issue and a flaky dimmer is a possibility.

So i hit the radio with my hand and it fixed it!!! Odometer is still little wierd but not noticable! it has a microsecond second delay when i adjust the dimmer switch.

To Big Dave.....has the issue with your radio cleared up ? I've tapped (tap is a relative term) on the face of my radio with 'some' success. I say some, because sometimes it fixes it for a couple of hours. But sometimes it only fixes it for an hour. My radio does the old... fade to dark...tap tap tap....then it comes back. The Dealer's answer: :cry:bring it out for a "$50.00 search to find out what is wrong with your radio.":cry:

Latest posts