Electrical Gremlin

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy Hall

Reaction score
I don't know where to begin to find the solution to this problem. At night when the lights are on, my stereo will drop in volume, the treble drops off and it has a deep bass sound. When this happens if I change from drive to park, or any other gear, there is a load electronic "pop". Now the really crazy part. If I hit the door unlock button the stereo returns to normal. Once I release the button it drops off again.

Any help would be appreciated.:(

It sounds to me that it is a ground or connection issue. If it is the OEM radio check the ground connections very well under the hood and the plug on the back of the radio.

If it is an aftermarket radio make sure your power and ground sorces are not coming from a mdule as it would affect the power to the radio and it would act differently based on what buttons are pushed.

My stock six disc has done the same thing a couple times immediately after starting the vehicle. I turn the radio off then back on and all is normal. If it was a ground issue, not sure how just the treble would disapear with everything else functioning normally. Haven't thought about it too much after the first time.

grump :huh:

Thanks for the help so far.

It is an OEM radio and I have to hit the unlock button to interrupt it. When the automatic lock kicks in after unlocking it drops the volume.

I will let you know if I find a loose connection.

Latest posts