Electrical Drawing Needed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Newman

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLS. I need an electrical drawing or schematic of the OBD II Data Connector and Cigar Lighter wiring if anyone is willing to share. I have no power at the OBD II connector but I do have a good fuse (17) and the fuse panel is getting 12 volts. I'm doing a deep dive on this issue or order to use a scan tool (I am having rough idle once the engine is warmed up). Sounds like a cylinder or two are misfiring.

Well here we go, down the rabbit hole.
Today, I removed the radio and bezel to gain access to the cigarette lighter and found that a GPS Tracking Device has been tapped into the lighters wiring. Removed the device but unfortunately there is no 12 vdc present at the lighters terminals.

So here I am - Truck running like crap and cannot hook up an
OBD II scanner because the connector has not voltage. There is 12vdc on the 20 amp #17 fuse both in and out so tommorow i will pull the instrument panel and look for a compromised wire. A schematic would be helpful. OBTW - When I began this project, I noticed the 20 amp
OBD II / Cigar Lighter fuse was gone (missing) I since put a new fuse in to no joy. All of this lends to the suspicion that the PO (s) has screwed something up.

Attachments

• 20230609_145138.jpg
    20230609_145138.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
I'd recommend a subscription to the online version of Chilton's Service manual. Around 30 bucks a year as I remember. An aside: We bought a 2004 Thunderbird once. Battery kept dying on us. After several trips to the dealer, they tracked the problem down. The car had been a Hertz rental and they had a GPS tracker installed. Once removed, all was well with the car.

I'd recommend a subscription to the online version of Chilton's Service manual. Around 30 bucks a year as I remember. An aside: We bought a 2004 Thunderbird once. Battery kept dying on us. After several trips to the dealer, they tracked the problem down. The car had been a Hertz rental and they had a GPS tracker installed. Once removed, all was well with the car.
Thank you

Here we go.....found this information on youtube to be very valuable
The #17 fuse on the interior fuse panel I was bird dogging is not used on model year 2005. The correct fuse is the 20 amp #19 in the engine compartment fuse panel. Ugh! Nothing better than chasing your tail. Anyhow, I visually and with a multimeter checked it and behold, it was blown. Here's the best part, when removed, I found that the PO (s) had jumped across the spaded terminals of the fuse. This morning, I replaced the fuse, repaired the Cigar Lighter wiring and now power has been restored to the OBDII Interface Connector and Cigarette Lighter. Woo Hoo! Ran a scan, no stored codes but it still stumbles once it is warmed up. Oh well, a work in progress. Thank you Bob Gard from Facebook for sending me those electrical schematics.

Attachments

• 20230609_171323.jpg
    20230609_171323.jpg
    727.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230609_170247.jpg
    20230609_170247.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 0
Good persistance & troubleshooting!

Hmm think I might look for one of these hidden somewhere, I too have a mystery battery draw.

Hello, I am having an issue with a few systems and need a wiring diagram for the BCM if possible

Latest posts