Electric Supercharger

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still waiting on the electric supercharger to arrive. I sent an email out to the company that I purchased it throught and they told me that they were having some difficulty in their shipping department. He assured me that it would go out today so I'm expecting it to arrive no later than monday. I'll write up a full review once I get it and I'll be sure to include the MPG gain or loss. I'll also include install pictures and possibly a video.

Spare no detail bud. I am pretty sure there are gonna be a lot of perked ears when you finally report what you find! ~ myself included

Mike, does this thing come with any update for fuel delivery? You will be running way lean if not, and that's a bad thing.

I don't really know if It's the resistor type. I got this strait off the site, this is all the info they have about the "chip"

"We provide a custom EPROM performance chip with your order to optimize your vehicles ECU"

Did anyone notice the picture they show on their site of the supercharger installed on an Integra is actually a picture of a turbocharged and intercooled motor?!:huh: And they claim they installed the kit in 60 minutes on that same car.... yeah, right....

Mike,

Please just cancel your order before they screw you....

Mike, I won't say to cancel your order but I will issue a word of caution. Experimenting on your daily driver(assuming the trac is your dd) is a bad idea. I speak from experience, so be real careful. I'd have serious concerns regarding that chip. It sounds like this company is sending a generic chip, which may or may not be programmed for your specific vehicle. I say this because I find it hard to believe they can easily program a mod chip for any type of vehicle as I don't think the specialy programmers are that simple to program. Not to mention that you will have to open your pcm which probably isn't the best idea.

Yea I understand, If my sport trac is down with a burned up computer then I'll be freezing my tail off this winter riding my cruiser. I'm so glad that I've got you guys! haha anyway I'm not saying that I will not go through with it but I'm going to do a lot of thinking before I install. I have a real good friend that's a Ford qualified mechanic and I'm going to have him come over and help me run over all of the parameters when I get it in. Thanks for all of you guys help, I really do appreciate it!

It takes about 30 horsepower to generate 100 horsepower worth of boost. When a centrifugal compressor is driven by a belt or gears from the crankshaft, the 30 HP is wasted in the form of parasitic drag. Not so on a turbocharger: Eighty percent of the energy that drives a turbocharger's turbine comes from exhaust gas heat that would otherwise be wasted out the tailpipe; the remaining 20 percent comes from exhaust pressure which does have a cost in the form of decreased pumping efficiencies resulting from higher backpressure in the exhaust manifold. Therefore, the "cost" of a turbo conversion is only 5-10 horsepower out of 100 gained rather than 30. Bottom line, turbochargers are simply more efficient power-adders than blowers or nitrous, which is why turbo engines dominate all forms of racing where they are allowed to compete without crippling sanctions.

A stock fuel system can handle a couple LBS of boost without any adverse effects. Once you get past 4 PSI or so, you need fuel managment.

Highly doubt he has anything to worry about.

4 PSI will get you an increase of about 27%. So with a stock Trac engine, you will go from 210 HP to 267 HP.

I would be a gunnea pig to try it.

I ain'ts scared of nuthin!

Tom

I'm just saying, if you look at the link I posted above, the pictures they claim to be of their product are NOT of their product. In the FAQ when they're asked what material they're made of, they dodge the question. They state they're made of "high tensile" material, but don't specify metal, plastic, composite.... They are shady, and would never get a cent of my money.

Well I fully agree with you Dan about the picture being bogus. That is deffinatly an intercooler on that integra. But to answer your question about what it's made of I'll post a couple of links of the pictures I've found of the Thorton Chargers.

**I don't know what's going on with this link but to see the picture go up to the first post I made on this thread and follow the link

Last edited by a moderator:
Both of those pics are Vortech superchargers. Save the pictures, then sharpen them and enlarge them using Photoshop. Vortech can be read on the housing. Also, compare to this picture... again, NOT THEIR PRODUCT!

[Broken External Image]:

i just went to their forum and have to say

i am not impressed. most of their answers

are from different user accounts but seem to

be the same person writing.

go read them and pay attention to their butchering

of the English language

Even if this electric supercharger did work, would it really give you any gains? The post about a supercharger taking power to gain it brings up an interesting point. The electric supercharger would drain the electric system, meaning that you have to generate more power to keep it going, which means the alternator will need more power from the belt to generate the electricity it needs to power the system (and you might have to upgrade to a higher output alt, maybe, and to my knowledge the higher output alternators don't produce power via superior parts, but rather by dragging more on the engine...correct me if I'm wrong.) More electrical power means more mechanical power being syphoned away, which means less HP at the wheels.

The mechanical supercharger makes 70 HP, net. Will this electric supercharger make more HP than it costs to power the electrical system with it installed? Inquiring minds want to know.

Turbo/Superchargers (according to wiki, turbocharger actually means turbo supercharger, to which I am baffled) ruin the direct correspondence between pedal depression and acceleration, and completely change the aspects of your ride. Turbo lag being the first and most well known problem. Personally, I want my car to go when I put the hammer down, not 2 seconds later, but to each his own. Of course, if I was saddled with Drive-By-Wire (the trick to make wuss cars peppier than they really are) then the 1-to-1 correspondence is out the window, so go ahead and charge me up.