Egg smell, hesitation

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenn Tina

Reaction score
Hey all,

Recently I have been experiencing an egg odor on occasion and also some slight hesitation. I have changed the spark plugs and no change. Also a couple of months ago it wouldn't start. Left it in the parking lot for a few hours, came back, fired right up. Have not experienced this again so far. 2002. Any ideas?

Check the cat converts and the battery. Both will give the rotten egg odor. If you find it to be the battery get that replaced emediatly cuz the next symptom might be when it explodes. The cats, well if its that or one of them one day you just wont be able to go faster than 25 and then you know it's one of them. Or take it to an exhaust shop since they have 3 pre cats and the main a shop could help determine which of them might be the deviant.

Cats are getting conamentated. If you have no codes or CEL. Take it to a shop that can do a complete analyses. The smell has to do with the A/F ratio. You will eventualy plug or ruin the cats..

It could be bad gas. Did it start after the last fill up?

I have had this problem before. It is not a bad catalytic converter, at least probably not yet. It could be a bad O2 sensor causing a rich condition. But, it is most likely a bad TPS or coolant temp sensor. Also make sure to clean your mass air meter....

I was also thinking O2 sensor. Battery is a few years old but I bought a gel style battery last time. Still looks clean and no foul smell. I never seem to have problems that would indicate a plug in the exhaust. If memory serves correct I also replaced the EGR once before. Even if the CEL light comes on it doesn't stay long enough to get the codes read.

All the above. But, I would start simple. If no battery smell/leaks. I would suspect bad gas first. As for hesitation, very well could be related but could be many different things. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? The codes will be stored even with the CEL off. Sounds like you are definitly have a fuel delivery issue. I agree with Eddie. Have a shop hook up a proper scan tool and read what the O2 sensors are doing,cats,etc.. The trucks air/fuel mixture is monitered/calibrated by many sensors. You dont want to start throwing parts at it.

yes! I change mine at least every year. Easy to do yourself. Try a seach on on this site for some good info. Or pay around $50 for a shop to do. Either way. It is clogged and will help with hesitation issues. Maybe help with smell. But, DEFINITLY start with that.

Latest posts