Economical Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
I went to Ford Dealership to get an oil change and tire rotation.

supplied my own 5Qt giant bottle of Penzoil full synthetic from Walmart for 26 dollars.

got oil lube and Motorcraft filter change for 6 bucks.

tire rotation for 16 bucks.

total there was 24. but altogether it was 50 bucks.

i normally pay 80 for oil and 20 for tire rotation at a local shop.

definitely stickin with ford from now on. i saved half the amount

I Catch parts stores sales for full syn and k&n or mobil1 filters. $26 to $27 and change it myself. Parts store takes the old oil back. That is what the excise tax is for per quart. The dealer charges an extra fee for that despite the fact the cost is already included per quart, as per the feds.

Money saved for 20minutes work. Discount tire and some others will rotate tires for free. Even if you didnt buy them there.

Just saying helps those shallow pockets.

See my post in the off-topic board about mobil 1. I did a full synthetic change for $15 after rebate.

I also paid for a tire rotation once and will never do that again. Considering I have a floor jack and jack stands in does make it a little easier than most but it surprises me how much they charge considering they already had your truck in the air to do the oil anyway.

In my case, time has a value (or cost, depending how you look at it). I change my own oil not just because I save a lot of money but I can do it in at least one-third the time that I will spend waiting at the dealer or a shop. There are other things that I will pay to have done because they can do it much faster than I can.

I agree changed my oil in 18 min. I prefer to spend the money on quality filter and oil.

The dump takes the oil for free. :haveabeer:

I change my own oil so I know it was done correctly. How do you really know what kind of oil they are pumping in your engine? Also, I can do it faster since I don't take the air filter out to show it to me, or try to convince me I need to have the power steering fluid flushed every 10,000 miles like the Gyppy Lube people do.

Latest posts