Ecoboost VS 5 Litre

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerry Mac

Reaction score

Hi Guys,

I am thinking I need a little more weight to pull the new boat. The ST does it on flat ground which we have lots of here but it complains in wind and hills. I am looking at the 2013 F150 and only at F150, so please no alternate makes. I put on only about 8000 km per year and use the truck to tow my boat or travel to NASCAR races. Some amazing deals available right now.

The question is whether the extra $900 for the Ecoboost is warranted with just the little miles I put on or is it preferable to stick with the tried and true 5 litre V8?

Gerry Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Youtube video--Ultimate Factories : The F-150 Engine by National Geographic ..says v6 ecoboost (365hp)gets better gas mpg than V8 and same towing capacity. I don't know all the facts but sounds interesting.

from an article I saw...." Ford has placed a choice of four engines: a 302 HP 3.7 liter V6, a 360 HP 5.0 liter V8, a 411 HP 6.2 liter V8, and a 365 HP 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine. All of the engines can be mated to a fuel-saving electronic six-speed automatic transmission with tow/haul mode."

F-150 Engine Lineup in Detail:

3.7-liter four-valve Ti-VCT V6

Best-in-class 302 horsepower at 6,500 rpm

Unsurpassed 278 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm vs. V6 competitors

Best-in-class 17 mpg city and best-in-class 23 mpg highway (4x2)

Best-in-class 6,100 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. V6 competitors

5.0-liter four-valve dual-overhead-camshaft Ti-VCT V8

Best-in-class 360 horsepower at 5,500 rpm vs. standard V8 competitors

21 mpg highway, unsurpassed 15 mpg city (4x2)

Best-in-class 10,000 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. standard V8 competitor

6.2-liter two-valve single-overhead-camshaft V8

Best-in-class 411 horsepower at 5,500 rpm

Best-in-class 434 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm

13 mpg city, 18 mpg highway (4x2)

Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow

3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost engine

365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on regular fuel

Best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm vs. premium V8 competitors

Up to 90 percent peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm

Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. all competitors

Best-in-class 3,120 pounds payload vs. all competitors

Unsurpassed 16 mpg city, 22 mpg highway vs. all competitors

...but to answer your question....sorry, I have no idea. I'm sure someone one here can help you decide. Good Luck with the new purchase:driving: Lucky dog! Great choice of truck either way. Ford Tough!

Just my opinion but I think the 3.5L EB is a no brainer. It can tow the same weight as the 6.2L and gets better fuel mileage than either of the V8's. Too bad we can't get the T6 Ranger here with an engine like that. The F-150 is just too big for my needs.

I have a few customers that have Ecoboosts and all of them say it ain't all that. The power isn't there nor is the fuel mileage. Surprisingly enough my neighbor has one and says the same thing. If it were me I would go with the 5.0, Ford doesn't have the tuning for the engine or trans right on the 6.2 (I have proved this to a friend of mine several times when he tries to pass me in his Raptor while I am driving my Tundra)

The fact that a large percentage of customers are buying the V6 engines tells me that they must be fairly satisfied with the package. If they "ain't all that" the word would be out and Ford would not be selling them in the numbers they are. As for the Ecoboost engines not being "tried and true" the same basic engine has been available in other Ford vehicles since the 2010 model year. The current 5.0L V8 did not become available until the 2011 model year in the Mustang and F-150. There are plenty of youtube videos documenting the durability testing of the 3.5L EcoBoost in the F-150.

My b-inlaw and nefhew bought esential the same f-150. B-inlaw got the V6 eco. Nefhew got the 5.0L coyote. They both like the 5.0L best. They said, not even enough difference in mpg. My b-inlaw is consisdering trading for the 5.0L already.

I question @ what milage and the cost of turbo related repairs. I would have rather the stress test, done by independents. With 10 engines. No manufactor is going to give the down side.

I wouldnt mind droping the V6 eco in my gen 1 trac. It is much lighter than the f-150. It might be compact enough to fit.

If I didnt live in such a strict texas county. I would already have a 337cui push rod FI stroker motor. With performance goodies. Such an easy motor to get cheap HP from.

There again the $$ arent there, nowdays either....

Hi,

The die is cast. I went with the 5L. I got what I think is a good deal. I bought the 4 X 4 Super Cab, don't need the extra seating, with 5L and full option package. It has rear camera, hard tonneau, fender liners, tow package with brake controller, running boards, chrome package, two way command start etc. It is Tuxedo Black. I will post pictures when weathr permits. Photo shown is stock photo.

I got $24K for my '09 ST and $10K in Ford incentives (Costco membership, Ford loyalty and price adjustments)

Gerry

[Broken External Image]:

Gerry, nice:supercool:

Someone is going to get, a very nice Trac...

Too bad you couldnt keep both......

Latest posts