E85 and Emissions Testing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Crockett

Reaction score
My state (AZ) requires Emissions testing every other year, beginning in the month of the vehicle's 5th year of service (next month for me; can't believe I've had her that long!). Does anyone here have any insight (or feelings) as to the impact on Emissions testing for E85? I haven't run any yet, though my engine can handle it, mostly because it's difficult to find in my area, and concerns about decreased MPG have been enough to keep me from searching for any stations that sell it. But if it were to help me get through an Emissions Test cleaner, I could be persuaded to buy a tank or two . . .

Thanks for all your help!

Is your ST modified to where you think it would not pass emissions?

Unless you have removed the cats or other vital emissions parts there is no reason to think it would not pass.

On OBDII vehicles, most states don't even put the sniffer on vehicles anymore, they just hook it up the computer via the OBD access plug under the steering column and make sure the computer isn't throwing any emissions codes.