E-readers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kindle just dropped in price to $189. Kindle seems to be the best one based on marketshare and features; free wireless downloads being the #1 feature IMHO.

I don't have one. I'm holding out for iPad to drop in price before I can justify it as an e-reader.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
So the Kindle works off like a cell phone sig correct?Do;s it come loaded with any books?

I think 400,000 titles are available, are any free?

When you download a book are you billed like a cell phone ?

I have a Kindle and I like it alot. It is connected to an amazon.com account so when you purchase a book with the Kindle it bills the credit card on file with them. You can also buy the book downloads online and they will get sent to the kindle as well. Mine did not come with any books on it.

My wife wanted one of those for Christmas last year. I bought her a netbook instead, and she loves it. Microsoft has a free reader program to download. You just buy or download the book you want in .lit format. It will even read the book to you in its slow, choppy computer voice if you want. It is also available for Windows smartphones.

My wife has the nook by barnes and noble and loves it. It seems to have more book titles then the kindle and also downloads wirelessly. It can use sd cards for more storage and unlike the kindle you can get a replacement battery. She has a second battery for camping trips and such. Also another thing we like about the nook is you are able to "loan" the books you purchase to other nook owners. Thats my 2cents.

My son has a Nook and likes it. The only issue with 'loaning' books with the Nook is that while the book title is 'loaned' out, you are not able to read it yourself. After all, you don't 'have it'. It has been 'loaned out'. lol

Bill, here is a litle clip. after the sponsors comercial.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/67FlcYN78M0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/67FlcYN78M0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I wasn't impressed with Kindle, though I did have the 1st gen one. The refresh on the screen on page turning was very annoying. Also, black text on a brownish background (the natural color of the LCD) wasn't as great as black on white. My Kindle came preloaded only with a book about how the Internet facilitates the outsourcing of labor, and how outsourcing is the natural evolution of business. Don't tell some members here that. :grin:

Maya Angelou and Tony Morrison can shove it, Kindle is not easier on the eyes than paper.

(Those "acclaimed" authors spoke for Kindle on release, btw)

I could see the uses for it, but I already have thousands of books. Paying to get them in Ebook format (many of them aren't even available) won't work for my $.

Kindle just dropped in price to $189. Kindle seems to be the best one based on marketshare and features; free wireless downloads being the #1 feature IMHO.

I don't have one. I'm holding out for iPad to drop in price before I can justify it as an e-reader.

Kind of ironic, as Kindle dropped in price to remain competitive against the iPad. If only netbooks could turn into tablets, because then they'd be the perfect ebook reader.

My step-son got the Nook a couple weeks ago. He went with the 3G version. He loves it. One bonus is that you can get free stuff while using your Nook in a Barnes & Noble store.

Latest posts