E-Brake Light falsely going off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Corn

Reaction score
Hey friends... I have an issue with my emergency brake light. When I take off from a stop light the brake illuminates randomly and some times when I am cruising. I can only get the light to go off when I apply the brakes 75 percent. People must think I am break checking them or something. I know the obvious follow up question is "Is your brake on?" The answer is no. I have engaged and disengaged the brake thinking that would break the cycle. No dice. I kknow the brake is off because I have seen it lit up at a stop light. When I let off the brake (regular brake) my car creeps forward like it should. this would not occur when the E-brake is deployed.

Please, WTF is going on?:fire::fire::fire::fire:

Odds are you fluid is low in your master cylinder. Why is the fluid low? Odds are your calipers are full of fluid. Why are they full of fluid? Odds are, your brake pads are about to wear out.

Tom

Check the fluid level in the brake master cylinder.

According to the owner's manual:

"Illumination after releasing the parking brake indicates low brake fluid level and the brake system should be inspected immediately by your servicing dealership." - page 10-11 in my '05 manual.

If your fluid level is low with no leaks, it may be an indication that it is time to replace your pads.

:sad:

There is a switch on the emergency brake that might be sticking, but I agree with the other posters. Check your brake fluid level. Even at 50% pads left, it might be down just enough to trigger the light.

I agree witht he others, that you are probably low on brake fluid due to brake wear.

Also, check your E-brake. I know on occasion I would accidently bump the E-brake pedal getting in the truck and it would cause the Brake light to come on. Just hitting the E-Brake release would often clear the light even thought the E-brake pedal never appeared to move. If my bumping the pedal depressed the E-brake pedal it could have only been no more than 1/8 inch...so it does seem to be overly sensitive.

...Rich

It might your e-brake switch, mine was doing the same thing and I had to adjust the pedal and tighten the switch. And pop off the master cylinder cover and see how much fluid is in there. If it is low add some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the brake switch tests and if you need to go further I'll send you the complete diagnosis with graphics.

A1 CHECK THE BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER FLUID LEVEL SWITCH

Ignition OFF.

Disconnect: Brake Master Cylinder Fluid Level Switch C124.

Ignition ON.

Is the brake warning indicator on?

Yes

GO to A2.

No

GO to A3.

A2 CHECK THE PARKING BRAKE SWITCH

Ignition OFF.

Disconnect: Parking Brake Switch C2015.

Ignition ON.

Is the red brake warning indicator on?

Yes

GO to A5.

No

INSTALL a new parking brake switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

A3 CHECK CIRCUIT 512 (TN/LG) FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Ignition OFF.

Disconnect: Ignition Switch C250.

Measure the resistance between ignition switch C250-P1, circuit 512 (TN/LG) and ground.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes

GO to A4.

No

REPAIR circuit 512 (TN/LG) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.

A4 CHECK THE IGNITION SWITCH FOR PROPER OPERATION

Carry out the ignition switch component test.

Refer to Wiring Diagrams Cell 149 for component testing.

Is the ignition switch OK?

Yes

INSTALL a new brake master cylinder fluid level switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

INSTALL a new ignition switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

A5 CHECK CIRCUITS 977 (PK/WH) AND 162 (LG/RD)

Ignition OFF.

Disconnect: Instrument Cluster C220b.

Measure the resistance between instrument cluster C220b-14, circuit 977 (PK/WH) and ground.

Is the resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?

Yes

INSTALL a new instrument cluster. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

REPAIR circuit 977 (PK/WH) or 162 (LG/RD) for a short to ground. TEST the system for normal operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
brake fluid is full in the master cylinder, where is the module to adjust the pedal? That is probably where it is.

Right above the emergency brake pedal. There is a small switch there that is activated when you push the emergency brake pedal. I think it's one that opens up as the pedal is pushed. If the pedal does not come back up all the way, it won't shut off the switch. Lube the pedal, and then adjust the switch so it shuts off when the pedal is released. I had to use some electrical contact cleaner on the switch too a few years ago. No problems since. There is no actual "module" for this, but just a small switch above the pedal.

Fluid level sensor switch is on the side of the master cylinder & the parking brake switch is on the side of the foot actuator.

4ced0c33763cda88ac6295f8d6e82dcf.gif