Dynamat - is it worthwhile?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my whole ST Dynamatted (Front, Rear Doors, Ceiling, Floor, Behind Back Seats), 2 layers extreme. I wouldnt spend that kinda money if it didnt do anything :)

Its well worth it.

I dynamatted the area around my speaker cutouts in my Toyota Matrix, and that stuff is impressive. No rattles at all from the doors with the volume turned up.

My company makes noise reduction parts for cars (Carpets, dash insulation, hoodliners, etc) and I do all of our noise testing. Dynamat does work, but the markup on it is insane. I would estimate they sell that at least 20X what it costs to make. It is a soft butyl rubber with aluminum foil constraining layer. I am not familiar with the Brown Bead product that Doug Watts mentioned, but looking at the site, it looks like the same stuff, though maybe a little thinner.

MTURocks, why dont you tell us alittle more about the company you work for and its products. maybe there are people here that can use your stuff.

I just used an extreme speaker kit around the speakers, pasted the pieces I cut out onto the doors, and sprayed something called VBS-1 Quiet Kote all over the doors and inside of the interior door panel. Worked very well, and makes a difference.

Someone here used a roofing product called peel and seal. I might replace the foam weathershield with some of that stuff, it feels like a thinner version of dynamat... but cheap as hell.

Which is funny, because at the bottom of their site you'll find:

Coming Soon:

Sound Saver Pipe Silencerâ„¢

Sound Saver for Home Acoustics

Sound Saver for Auto Sound Systems

Wonder where they got the idea from.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found some stuff a Lowe's for roofing that works as good if not better than dynamat its only like $12 a roll it's a rool about 6" wide by 25' long its not in as big of sheets by if you just cut it to size it works really good, easier to work with also and sticks really good even in cold/cooler weather.

Excellent advice, making that decision real easy. Thanks JD for the web-site, very informative. Looks like Second Skin is the way to go, especially since their Canadian rep. is 10 mins. down the road - it is a small world after all!! :D

Latest posts