DVDSWAN 02 Sport Trac Build/Maintenance thread

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ST has the long one piece tonneau cover. The lock on that as well as the tailgate lock didn't turn. On the advice of a friend I got some graphite from the auto parts store. Both work great now. The ignition key locks the tailgate. Pro tip: don't do this on a windy day.

My ST has the long one piece tonneau cover. The lock on that as well as the tailgate lock didn't turn. On the advice of a friend I got some graphite from the auto parts store. Both work great now. The ignition key locks the tailgate. Pro tip: don't do this on a windy day.
2acbpr.jpg

Last couple of days I've been playing around and searching the net to things to do.

Ordered the timing chain tensioners and the thermostat housing yesterday. Also ordered body mounts, LED bulbs for the interior and instrument panel (installed the rear dome light/map lights. The front the T5 connectors were burned and the ribbon tape for the lights was broken, the lights did work before but now they are not. I image the ribbon tape is falling out of connection path). Ordered new T5 connectors with bulbs at the moment and will replace with LEDs when I'm sure the T5s are the right size. I had some T10s and they're too small, go figure, what you have on hand never is right.

I did order a new radio and tailgate handle with camera and power mirrors with heat and puddle lamps as well.

61hqWraCuGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Part image
Part image

Part image
Part image

Part image
Videosystem Tailgate Replace Rear View Camera Car Backup Tailgate Handle Camera for Ford 1997-2007 F150 F250 F350 F450 F550,Tailgate Door Handle Replacement Camera(Color: Black)

71tU2v4bJlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Oh, and I did strip the center dash bezel for painting...

IMG_2567.JPG

Last edited:
If you are replacing the body bushings and timing chain sensors yourself I hope you will post some video or comment on your experience. I'm thinking about trying it myself?
Thanks

If you are replacing the body bushings and timing chain sensors yourself I hope you will post some video or comment on your experience. I'm thinking about trying it myself?
Thanks
The tasking is really not that difficult. If you have some mechanical ability you can do both of them. There is a guy on youtube that has done them and has how-to videos...

Thank you so much for sharing that. At my age I'm a bit more mechanical than computer inclined. Plus I use my phone over our dinosaur desktop, and get research overload .
I just bought a 2nd, 01 ST, both same color, going to 1st repaint low mileage one I just got similar to my best-picture, then rebuilt my 300k mileage one for my grandson to have in 3 years. I'm retiring this fall. I hope to follow you on your progress. Wishing you the best
Thank You very much!
Art Call

The tasking is really not that difficult. If you have some mechanical ability you can do both of them. There is a guy on youtube that has done them and has how-to videos...

I subscribed to munday’s channel too. Good practical advice on video!

Got the stereo, tailgate handle, bushings, one mirror, t/stat housing delivered. Some items coming next week. Fitting the stereo into the bezel I had looked at the connection for the reverse camera and realized I had to look for an extension for inside the tailgate so I can remove the tailgate if needed.

So, looking at the connection on the t/gate handle, it has a 4-pin video connection. I ordered a 5ft cable for inside the tailgate.

YQMAJIM 4Pin Backup Camera Extension Cable,(5Ft 4P) Pure Copper Thicker Shield DashCam Rear View Camera Extension Cord,Mirror

https://www.amazon.com/YQMAJIM-Extension-Thicker-Dashcam-Reverse/dp/B0C6S2Q265/?tag=seriouexplor-20

I will use this inside the tailgate and use zip tie pads to secure it because I have these lying around. They are self-adhesive but I'm sure the tape won't adhere well to the inside of the tailgate so some super glue or epoxy should do the trick.

1711820266105.png

Again, this is so I can still remove the tailgate if the need arises. As for the hole in the bottom of the tailgate and going into the bed a 1/2" or 5/8" blanking grommets should do the trick to seal the tailgate and let the cable come through.

1711820756849.png

Looking at the connection for the mirror it needs a 10-pin connection. So today I'm on the hunt for the wiring diagram for the power mirror w/ heat and puddle lamps for an 02 Explorer. The mirror base to door is different so I'm going to look at how the mirror is connected to the base and hopefully be able to swap the bases.

Got the stereo, tailgate handle, bushings, one mirror, t/stat housing delivered. Some items coming next week. Fitting the stereo into the bezel I had looked at the connection for the reverse camera and realized I had to look for an extension for inside the tailgate so I can remove the tailgate if needed.

So, looking at the connection on the t/gate handle, it has a 4-pin video connection. I ordered a 5ft cable for inside the tailgate.

YQMAJIM 4Pin Backup Camera Extension Cable,(5Ft 4P) Pure Copper Thicker Shield DashCam Rear View Camera Extension Cord,Mirror

https://www.amazon.com/YQMAJIM-Extension-Thicker-Dashcam-Reverse/dp/B0C6S2Q265/?tag=seriouexplor-20

I will use this inside the tailgate and use zip tie pads to secure it because I have these lying around. They are self-adhesive but I'm sure the tape won't adhere well to the inside of the tailgate so some super glue or epoxy should do the trick.

1711820266105.png

Again, this is so I can still remove the tailgate if the need arises. As for the hole in the bottom of the tailgate and going into the bed a 1/2" or 5/8" blanking grommets should do the trick to seal the tailgate and let the cable come through.

1711820756849.png

Looking at the connection for the mirror it needs a 10-pin connection. So today I'm on the hunt for the wiring diagram for the power mirror w/ heat and puddle lamps for an 02 Explorer. The mirror base to door is different so I'm going to look at how the mirror is connected to the base and hopefully be able to swap the bases.
Which head unit is that? I like it.

Had a needed repair 2 weeks ago that I completed today. Alternator bearing took a dive after I washed the truck. Ordered the parts from Rockauto and waited for them to arrive. Alt, tensioner, idler pulley, and belt. Due to the age I felt it easier to replace them all. Good choice as the idler bearing was rough as well and the belt was cracking. I would have done this as soon as the parts came in but work sent me overseas for the week. I also replaced the gas cap leash and washed the truck again since pollen loves the fall this time of year.

IMG_2607.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

This may be as good a thread as any for this information but you’re all welcome to share it anywhere as indicated. It’s not a paid ad for a parts source. You have until May 17 to use the 5% discount if you’re interested.
IMG_3327.png

thanks for the code Larry Holmes! just used it to get new shocks and cv axels. hope to tackle those this weekend.

Latest posts