DVD copy/back up software

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
Does anyone know a good DVD copying program that I can use to back up my DVD collection? My kids are letting others borrow my DVD's and I never see them again. Looking for a one click option or something easy. PC or Mac.

I use DVDFab and it is a great program. It's pricey, but if you get the lifetime upgrade, the license never runs out. I've used it for 10 years now and they are always updated around the time any new encriptions come out. I think they still have a free download of it, but the updates for the free version won't come out till a new update is released. So you are one update behind with the free version.

Do any of these DVD copy programs copy protected discs? Most software I have found will not copy a DVD movie that is copyright protected...They usually come up with an error message indicating that it cannot copy a DVD that is copy protected? I have found a few free video/DVD copy/capture programs on line, but most are kind of clunky and out dated so they often don't work very well.

...Rich

Rich,

Reading through, its sounds like DVDfab does crack the encryption technology used on discs. But both programs sound like they can get the job done.

I don't mind paying for something that works for my needs.

+1 for the Slysoft.

cracks the encryption and i get an update every month for their new software or updates to the encryption algorithym..

Big Al & CityBoyAtl,

I don't mind paying for software that works as I expect it to. There are just too many folks selling software that either does not work, or they make excuses that it should work but imply that the user is responsible if it does not work. Also, many Usuer Software License Agreements weasle out by stating that the software is not guaranteed to work for it's intended use???? What the hell is that supposed to mean?? To me in only means that if the software does not work as you expected...tough! No returns or refunds?

....Rich

Roxio basic came on this computer. I have copied many DVD's.

Havent had one that wouldnt. Using qaulity blanks. They came out good.

I use Slysoft because AnyDVD is a program that gets rid of the encryption and comes with free updates ASAP for any disc's that are having problems. AnyDVD HD does blu-ray. CloneDVD is a program that actually reads the disc after the encryption has been taken off and it makes a complete copy of the disc. All software from the site comes with a free download for 30 days I believe and then you can decide to keep it by buying. Also all comes with updates when needed. Have been using Slysoft for about 5 years now.

I used Slysoft when I was in college. Haven't in a couple years. Easy to use and never had a problem.

I have used Roxio for years and I have kept it updated, but for some strange reason it does not recognize my DVD/CD drive? I have downloaded other software that has no problem recongnizing my DVD/CD drive and creating CD's or DVD's, so I don't know why Roxio is having problems. I have Roxio DE 10.3

A few weeks ago I was just trying to create a CD of photos I had from my trip to Las Vegas. Roxio had no problem greating an Image File, but then I could not get it to recognize my DVD/CD drive? I ended up downloading some freebe software that worked perfectly.

...Rich

Eddie,

Figured out my problem. I had Roxio Version 9 that came with my HP/Compaq PC. Where I worked we used only Dells. A while back I noticed that I had a copy of the newer version 10.3 on my jump drive (from work) and decided to upgrade my PC....Turns out the DE means it's a Dell Edition and while the Roxio works to create images etc., it does not recognize or support Non-Dell DVD/CD drives, thus it always said "DVD/CD drive not detected" Duh !!

...Rich

Richard,

Yup my machine is a dell xp/home prm.

From what you say I wont be able to tranfer it to my new accer, darn...

Well I can always use the dell for some things. It is 4 yrs old. I keep it clean, updated and tuned. It still runs like a new one.

As for the hotmail site sucking up 100% of the proccesor, we talked about. It is happen very little since some w/xp updates this month...

Only reason I bought the accer aspire w/7home prm, is. Age of the dell, and its' a more powerful machine. Also office max discounted it from $795 to $418 deliverd.

I honestly havent had the time to sit with it and completely set it up to my liking. Not even sure what 3rd party software is on it.Hope it is a good laptop. My sister has same one. She likes hers. Upset her that I paid 1/2 price...LOL

Eddie,

Yes. I suspect that you will have similar problems trying to get your Roxio DE working on your Acer...:cry: But you might want to give it a try...you might get lucky?

My HP/Compaq is getting a bit old too. I'm guessing that it is about 4 years old as well. It runs pretty good though...It's a 2.0 GHz, dual core Pentium running XP Professional and 3GB of RAM. I can go up to 4GB of RAM but to go to 8GB requires that I go to a 64 bit version of Windows...which I will probably then switch over to Windows-7.

I also have an Acer 8.9" NetBook, that I use for traveling since it is so small and light, but too slow for my everyday use.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts