DVD Cataloging

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
Those of you with large DVD collections what do you do with them to know where they are or what you have?

I have mine in CD books....DVD's used to take up a whole wall of space, down to 6 of the large CD books. Also did the same with my CD's....freed up a ton of extra space. I keep track of them through a spreadsheet also, but can now find them without having to look them up.

To those who put there dvds in books & the like, what did you do with all the cases?

I'm curious as I have bookcases of dvds/bluray/cds, and can't just switch to the wall rack as too many are special-edition boxes which are far larger than a normal dvd :(

Interested to know.

We have the DVD's in 100 disk books.

All you do is open the spreadsheet type "ctrl f" and type in the name of the movie. It will tell us which book it is in and the number the disk is in.

i.e.

Book 5 place 67

So I know to grab book 5 and go about 2/3 into the book to find the movie.

As for the boxes, well......

Tom

We used DVDAttache for a while but did't keep up with the logging and that free utulity hasn't been updated in a while so its ability to bring in jacketart from sources like Amazon seems broken of late.

Had nice features like keeping track of loaned DVDs, export to a website, and PDF report.

TJR

We used DVDAttache for a while but did't keep up with the logging and that free utulity hasn't been updated in a while so its ability to bring in jacketart from sources like Amazon seems broken of late.

Had nice features like keeping track of loaned DVDs, export to a website, and PDF report.

TJR

I use Collectorz. You can get a cheap bar-code code scanner (~$20) from them and scan in all your movies and it automatically catalogs and organizes them. Its a great program.

Last edited by a moderator:

I have over 1100 movies in DVD format. I use a program called "Movie Organizer" It catalogues the movie by Genre, Actor, Number, DVD or VHS etc. Then I store the movies in this box. The box is not expensive and includes the numbered sleeves. The plastic sleeves protect the DVD. This storage method takes up very little space.

I print out the list in alphabetical order. I can find any movie in the collection in seconds.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Gerry Mac

Does Movie Organizer or Collectorz support adding in your own storage location?

I don't plan to alphabetize because I'm using DVD books, so moving a bunch of movies when I buy a new one doesn't make a lot of sense.

My plan is to organize them by major genre. So then in the program I'd like to say the movie in in book 2 page 12 or whatever.. The last program I tried didn't really have that built in and when it updated it overwrote all my locations...

Last edited by a moderator:

In my case they are not stored by the alphabetized list but rather by the DVD number. The movies are cataloged in Alphabetized list but the program allows to cataloge by any of the filters.

So yes, you could edit the list to say Book 1 - Movie #63 Days of Thunder or whatever it happens to be. Movie Organizer however is NOT Vista or Windows 7 Compatible. I keep a computer here for XP Programing so it is no hardship for me. If you use only one computer that is Vista or Windows 7 you will need to look elsewhere. From what you describe you might be best suited to a simple Excel Document.

Gerry Mac

Latest posts