driving, HARMONIC BALANCER SHEARED OFF! (updated pics)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Sove

Reaction score
driving today and i started to hear a belt squeal, shortly after i started to hear a horrible whine (like no PS fluid whine).. pulled over and checked everything, all good..Take off again, hear a couple "thuds" and both sounds went away, pulled BACK over and found the outer ring of my crank pulley resting against my lower rad. hose!!!!! w/ a few chunks of rubber attached to it. Belt stayed intact, and i drove it home another 20miles.. anybody ever hear of this happening before? and why? btw my 04 adrenalin 4x4 has 81,000 miles. In my 13years of mechanics ive never heard of a harmonic balancer seperating like this.. also, autozone wants $220 for one.. anybody got a blown motor they wanna sell the balancer off of???

38640c897229e5214f1ca07f7545d0e7.jpg

4ffa3539f45c4f56de26b0a9ac2d3e07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard of it but not quite to the extent you describe and show with your pics.

Years ago I stuffed a monster Pontiac Tri-Power V8 in '40 Ford coupe that experienced a partial failure. The outer pulley portion semi-separated from the inner crankshaft weight portion. That sure caused a rattle that was really annoying at idle but not so bad at higher PRMs.

I am a little surprised that you were able to drive it the 20 miles without further damage.

Mine went out on my 04 at 65k. It just started squeaking badly and I finally took it in to get replaced. It didn't completely seperate like that though. The mechanics replaced it for $300. $150part/$150 labor.

If you just need the pulley, I think ToddZ sells the underdrive pulleys still for the Tracs. It's just the pulley and not the harmonic balancer right? You can pull one of those off most rangers, explorers/ sports, sport trac. I think the 6cylinder mustangs have the same pulleys too. Don't quote me on that but something to look into. Might be cheaper listed under a different model.

Mine went at the beginning of this year at 51k. It seperated like yours did, but went towards the engine. It was fully covered for free under my extended warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
now that you guys mention it..im not sure if its JUST the pulley.. i mean, what ive got pictured is the only thing that broken.. but i thought the pulley came attached to the balancer? isnt that what the rubber is bonded to?

L1TECH, is it a complete assembly (harmonic balancer/ pulley) or is the pulley seperate? If it's just the pulley I'd think it's a fairly cheap and easy part to come by seeing all the models that use the same setup Ford makes.

ok, the rain has stopped so i was able to lay under the truck and snap some camera phone pics. here you go guys.. All my ford contacts are saying its ONE unit as Caymen mentioned.. and it being the holiday weekend, i cant get my hands on the part until monday IF i want to pay an arm and a leg, ORRR later if i buy it online cheaper :banghead::banghead::banghead:

c98dcb1c10011c460e2c2a5f783d4b29.jpg

eb2264dcc778ca606b9558cbcf83f535.jpg

e7b61e0d5ba0641ec3c5d00169be7645.jpg

Linked it for ya. I just talked with my neighbor and he said it was common issue on the Ford Fucus' too. That sucks, I'm gona have to look at mine to see if I see any wear and be pre- emtive on the fix before it gets me off guard too. Hope everything works out for ya man.

thanks KC i'll keep that in mind because tomorrow im calling a friend that works for an auto parts distributor locally, and if his looks like mine, im not buying it.. anybody got a dealership connection or a discount anywhere?? im hearing in the $220range .... ?!?!?!?:banghead::banghead: