Driving along and then nothin' .....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My daughter was driving out to main campus and after about 20 minutes on the road the Trac just died. While she was driving ... foot on the gas and nothing ... When she tried to start it nothing. Well $160 to flatbed it to the garage and the mechanic goes to start it the next morning and ... nothing. Cranks away but no start. Pushes it into the bay and vroooom starts right up. Picked it up a few days ago and has been fine since. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Yep, suspect the fuel pump is starting to go bad. Sometimes its not until they heat up that they have issues. Once cooled down they work again.

TJR

There has been a problem on Expeditions with the fuel pump safety switch, if you hit

a bump it will shut off the fuel supply. Then it will be ok later.

-I have also heard that with fords and the fuel pump safety switch. Its located in the passenger foot well area. Its got a red button if I remember correctly.

-Don D.

Yup had mine go like three times. You can get an updated/upgraded one from the dealer, I think there was a recall on them because I didn't get charged for it!! No issues with it since.

Find another mechanic, had he bothered to do a current ramp test on fuel pump he would have more than likely found the fault. Yours are a classic sympton of a fuel pump going bad, unfortunately it is going to cost you another $160 for a tow before they find it.

Latest posts