Drivetrain vibration issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith McElroy

Reaction score
I recently started having a problem with my track that is more of a annoyance than a problem, but I wanted to get another opinion.

I have a 2004 4x4 XLT and I am getting a vibration when I am driving that really intensifies at around 55 mph with OD. With the bed empty, the hard tonneau cover turns the bed into a bass chamber and you start feeling the vibration as a low frequency in your ears. I recently got the hard tonneau, and it seems to have started not long thereafter, but I am not sure. If I open the tonneau, the low frequency goes away, but it still vibrates.

I cannot narrow it down, but some reported having a vibration in the drive train because of the steel driveshaft, but I didn't know if the aluminum replacement applied to the '04.

I have the Ford shop guide, but it didn't tell me one way or the other.

The leverlift pretty much keeps it pretty tight. In fact, I have to push down on the rear to open it with the key. I'm beginning to think that my ST always did this, but I didn't notice it until the tonneau amplified it.

I would let the tire dealer check the tires for balance and true roundness..I have had tires that the belts sliped or even threw a weight after a few thousand miles...

If it just started I'd check the tires first. Being an '04 it's not like the u-joints should have gone bad. Also if it's an '04 I'm guessing you still have the OE Goodyear tires so that's likely your problem right there.

I replaced the crappy Goodyears with Yoko Geolander G051s about 3,000 miles ago and the OE shocks with Monroe Reflex about 1,000 miles ago. My ST only has 20K miles on it, so the tires throwing a weight (or worse) sounds like a good starting point.

I have a rear vibration that starts around 64mph. I bought the ST used and the original tires were on it when I bought it. As soon as I put new tires, Michelin, the vibration started. Dealer rebalanced and it still vibrated. Changed out the drive shaft, aluminum to aluminum, and it still has a slight vibration. More of an annoyance than a problem but it only happens around 64-65mph and goes away at higher speeds.

Latest posts