Driver's side parking lamp out, signals work

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Stehle

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I had my driver's side parking lamp go out. I swapped bulbs with the passenger side and confirmed with a multimeter that the wire is not hot at the connector anymore when the parking lights are turned on. Does anyone have any info on how I can track the problem down? I didn't see any fuses that were specific to parking lamps on one side only, and the passenger side works normally. I think it might be easier to tap into the passenger side connector than try to get into the wiring harness.

Try tilting the steering wheel all the way up. Ther is a known issue with wiring in the column.

Thanks. I tried moving the tilt with no luck. I actually keep it all the way up normally. I'll try checking the wiring near the steering wheel to see if I can find anything that looks off.

I agree with Eddie,

It is probably caused by a damaged wiring harness in the steering column. When you put the wheel in the highest position, it pulls on the wiring harness and connector in the steering column. Sometimes simply moving the steering wheel to a new position will temporarily fix the problem if it is just a loose connection.

You may have broken the wire, or pulled it out of the connector. Pull the covers off the steering column and check the wiring harness and connector for damaged or loose wires, and insure there is enough slack in the harness that the steering column can till fully up and down without pulling on the wires, and use a couple of wire ties to keep the wiring harness in place.

...Rich

I didn't see any fuses that were specific to parking lamps on one side only, and the passenger side works normally.

Passenger compartment fuse panel. (Left of instrument panel)

Does NOT indicate left or right side parking lamp (Pages 148-149)

Mark K.,

Yes, parking lights run through the steering column because they are also connected to the turn signals, which you already know are actuated by the turn signal lever/switch on the steering column.....same as the brake lights, head lights, wipers, horn, ignition, starter, etc all go through the steering column too.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Passenger compartment fuse panel. (Left of instrument panel)

Does NOT indicate left or right side parking lamp (Pages 148-149)

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/?link=002&urlfile=/pubs/content/~WO4P27/~MUS~LEN/36/04p27og3e.pdf

Not sure what you're getting at. I realize that there isn't a specific fuse for the left, which steered me away from fuses, as the right parking lamp works fine.

Ummm... Parking lights don't run through the steering column.

I just checked the wires in the steering column and didn't see anything odd, so I tried removing both connectors, and the right side parking lamp still worked, so that would confirm this. My flash works normally, only the parking light is out.

There's no electrical engineering reason to run the parking lights through the steering column. I stand by my statement. They go from power to the headlight switch via a few relays and such, then straight out to the tail light and parking light bulbs.

I don't have any experience tracking down harness issues, which looks like this probably is. The switch must be functioning properly if the right passenger side is working. To do it right, It's probably best to find out where the right and left sides split and then work toward the light. I guess we'll see how motivated I am this weekend since I could tap into the right side and be done in half an hour.