Drivers side outside door handle question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun Haskell

Reaction score
I opened my door last night and it felt like the handle came loose,it still opens but is loose and it comes up further before opening.

Is there a spring or something that causes the tension?

Figured i would ask before tearing into the door,by the way its an 01

There are no serviceable components to the handle. The only way to fix it is to replace it. The handle is about $29 and must be painted to match.

I was hoping someone would've had an answer. My dad has the same problem on his 2000 explorer. The other bad part about it is you have to hold the handle in to get the remote to unlock the doors and it takes about 5 times before it opens up.

My 2001 drivers door has been that way for several years, I just live with it. I suppose someday the handle will come off in my hand and then I'll have to deal with it.

same problem here--- '01 also... some times it is worse than others - feels like it going to fall off in my hand- other times it is just sort of loose feeling---??? Brad

I had the same problem and replaced the handle. I have a black truck so I just bought a black handle. It eventually loosened and the spring broke. I drilled out the handle rivets and squeezed my hand into the door frame through the inside panel and opened the clip. Then I put in the new handle and went to a local body shop to have 2 new rivets put it, no charge.

same problem with my mark 8 lincoln finnaly broke complety and had to buy a new one luckily was already painted black must be a ford problem:wacko:

Thanks for the replys!

I guess I will deal with it till it falls off.

Do they make a touch up paint spray can that i could use?I did this with my wifes probe years ago(walmart paint) you couldnt reallly tell it was done unless you looked hard or washed it<-just Kidding!!!

Latest posts