Driver's side front door does not lock/unlock with fob, but is fine with key or inside handle.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A K

Reaction score
No sooner finished a right front hub assembly and rotors and brakes on all four corners when the driver's side front door decided to only half work. If I use the fob, the door will not lock or unlock (the manual nub on the inside does not move). If I lock it manually, I can unlock it by pulling the inside handle or turning the key on the outside.

I assume the link between the power lock actuator and the lock itself has failed, or the actuator itself has failed. I'm leaning towards the link because when I hit lock or unlock, I can hear a faint click or tick inside the door, which I assume is the actuator moving.

Does this sound correct?

Thanks folks.

One of three COMMON issues.

1). The linkage came off as you stated.

2). The rivet that holds the electric lock actuator has broke.

3). Broken wire in the wire harness where it passes from the front of the drivers door into the cab area behind the kick-panel...

Thanks Kevin. It'll be next weekend's project, and I really appreciate knowing what to focus on so I won't waste a lot of time staring and fiddling.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the rivet broke, once you remove the door panel it is easy to determine. The actuator will just be hanging on the metal linkage and NOT attached to the door. That is why it will not operate the lock.

I fixed my lock with a pen spring. The lock rod that goes from the actuator to the black knob wasnt being pushed enough, so I attatched a spring from the bottom by the actuator to the door frame above it to give it a boost. Works fine now!

Latest posts