Driver side tailight acting up.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Here's the situation. My father-in-law has a ST that he is selling. He told me last night that the driver's side tail light is acting wierd and noone he took it to could figure it out. I figured I'd get the guru's here to give me some ideas to check for before I went out to look at it. Sopposedly this all started when they had a bulb replaced in the instrument cluster.

What's going on is:

1. The brake light and turnsignal won't work. The front works fine except flashes real fast. I thought Lamp burnt out but he says no. (I'm still going to check.)

2. He says that the parking lights work though. The only thing that doesn't work is the turn/brake. (this makes me think switch maybe?)

He has had the wire traced to where it enters the cab and the place (not dealership) said the wire seems fine. Is there a place I need to check under the dash or something?

Thanks ahead of time for any replys.;)

I thought the same thing except, it's just one side. The pass. side works fine. Also there is power getting to the parking light on that side. Just no power getting to the brake/turn light. By the way it's an '02.;)

stonemiser,

All the wiring for the turn signals, horn, wipers, etc go through the steering column including the ignition, starter, taillights and brake lights. Costiejoe is correct. It's most likely the connector in the steering column getting pulled apart by the tilt wheel.

...Rich

Check your towing harness connector in the rear. Mine had the same problem and found out that the connector had corroded and shorted out. Causing the signal to flash VERY fast and ramdonly without having the turn signal switch activated.

Latest posts