driver side door

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith wallace01ST

Reaction score
So we put the key into the driver side door the other day and it would not unlock i had to get my wife to crawl across the passengers seat to pull on the handle to open the door and the out side door handle seems loose. Any idea or a door skematic to see what parts are in the door. and the elictirc locks do not work as well on that door?

Keith

Keith, I have a similar problem with my drivers door too. Shy of doing a "fix-it myself" project, I found a temporary solution for the annoying problem by pressing on the flipper handle and pressing the remote unlock on the key fob. Or you can press the flipper handle and enter your door code and that usually works for me. While you are trying this you can actually unlock the other doors by doing a repeat of the code. My driver side door never unlocks with my key. The problem is in the flipper handles that were on all of the generation 1 Explorers and the Sport Tracs. Funny how ALL auto manufacturers use the same type door handles pretty much at the same time in their car production models: The "punch and pull" of the 60's and 70's, the "flippers" of the 90's and early 2000's and now the "luggage " handles seen on most trucks and cars of late? Cheap is what is the norm, so they can and should improve this regularly used part of the automobiles. Duh for them!:banghead: That's my two cents worth, Keith. Hope it helps you for the short term.

I'm assuming all the door keypads are the same, but, I know on mine, to open all the doors instead of just the driver door, you only need to hit the last digit two times, not repeat the whole code. My driver door (01) did the same thing, the plastic links inside broke, and it would not unlock with the handle partially open. Holding it down, and using the fob or keypad worked until I got it replaced.

Latest posts