Driver door lock on 2002 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
The driver door lock no longer responds to the remote or all-lock button on the driver door arm rest. I suppose the keypad too, but I never use that.

I can use the key to lock and unlock this door.

I can 'arm' as usual, and the other three doors lock and the headlights flash and horn sounds.

Since the driver door remains unlocked after remote arming I opened the driver door to see what happened...nothing.

So I am guessing a good place to begin troubleshooting the lock is by opening up the door panel and metering the unlock solenoid? How difficult is it to remove the door panel?

Am I not understanding the way the alarm is supposed to operate, or is it malfunctioning too?

Thanks in advance!

your correct. Sounds like the soleniod in your case. Check the projects. There is the info there about pulling the pannel. Not sure wich project it is though.

Removing the door trim panel is the only way to find the malfunction.

More than likely a loose or faulty lock actuator, Any unusual noises?

Make sure you leave the window up and disconnect battery after diagnosing.

Remove the bolt holding the window channel bracket on the door.

Use a flashlight and note how the upper part is mounted on the window.

Remove the wire clip on the channel and pull it down to gain access to the actuator.

Now you can see what the issue is. Can post repair links if needed.

Door panel removal link below.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:img]

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had my panel off 3 times in the last week. Pop off panel with switches by sorta pulling up and towards you. It kinda hinges on the inboard side away from the door. Disconnect wiring with the window UP. Now pop off shield behind the door pull and remove 8mm screws there. Then pop of the section around the handle itself. No screws there. Move to 5.5mm (i believe, I had to use imperial 9/32 I believe) screws at the bottom (2). Carefully slide your fingers along the bottom until you feel resistance and pull straight out. That is those silly Christmas trees. Continue up both sides until it hinges on the top by the window. Push lock button down and lift panel as straight up as you can. Be careful to go high enuff at the power mirror switch as it slide/clips there too. Then remove mirror wiring and you're there. Pull back plastic to find actuator at bottom rear. Unbolt window track noting how it is attached at the top and set into bottom of door. Unsnap actuator from its pivot mount. Then off the top off by gritting your teeth and carefully pop it out of the rod clip the white part of the actuator it is attached to. Remove wiring clip. Test. Older and newer actuators are the same but look slightly different and to use an old one, you have to change the wiring clip. I cheated and added an old clip in line so I can use one or the other, taping and sealing the unused one with tape.

Very good tips above. Important that you lift straight UP when removing the door panel.

If not, the forward plastic retainer tabs molded to the panel break, and will never sit flush again.

I broke both sides, and now have very loose and squeaky door panels. :banghead:

Your preaching to the choir, swshawaii! Snapped my drivers side in a hurry first time a year ago. If I'm seeing correctly, the 02s have the old style actuator. My 04 is newer, slightly different, with, of course, a different wiring connection!

600remguy- "Borrowed" pics of a '96 EB Explorer from another site.

A VIN will almost guarantee the correct OEM replacement part. Thanks.

Thanks for the excellent advise.

no noises to report swshawaii

Maybe i'll get a salvage solenoid so I don't have to take it apart twice.

I got the service manual on CD here somewhere....

And get some spare clips, as I am very likely to break those.

maybe a whole spare friggin door.(just kidding)

Don't mean to be a wussy or a buzz killer but what would a mechanic likely charge?

2-3 hours plus the part? that's likely pushin $500.

My mechanic is honest and very skilled so whatever he charges he earned.

I have a torn miniscus and not feeling too frisky, but having that $ in my pocket instead of his might cheer me up.

I got to think about this. thanks again.

update:

the link to the project is very concise, I am feeling less intimidated!

I got plenty of tools ('cause I work for a living too.)

I will shop and see what the actuators run.

this forum rules dudes!

Be shure to test the actuator, with linkage off. There have been times, the mechanicals just needed lube.

thanks for that. Could have some crap in it, since it appears to face up.

It was intermittant about 6 months ago. I've had the truck about two years. Now that you say that maybe I'll try locking and unlocking it with the remote while pushing and pulling the thing on top

If you can jump 12vdc straight to it. Just incase of a broke door wire or the module is crap.

Might have to remove it, to the battery. reverse + and -. to see if it works both ways.

follow-up

I tried 'helping it' while hitting the remote and it showed no signs of wanting to move.

the thing on top does not stick out as high as the rear door, but that might be normal.

Although the key operates the lock, the plunger feels rather stiff when I pull up and push down on it.

The electromechanical issues with the solenoid are actually no problem for me, I can troubleshoot these types of issues, it's my day job.

Blowing the door apart and having it loose and rattling or looking like poopy is the big thing for me.

Mama loves this truck and there will be no peace if I blemish it any further than I already have.

All the specialized fasteners and tricks associated with removing and reinstalling the panel are the the challenges. No doubt I can take it apart but in this case duct tape and silicone are forbidden by management.

I think I've exhausted the entertainment value of this post so until I have a resolution and can share the fruits of my labor so for now, I'll sign off.

All the comments were amazing and much appreciated.

Removing the door panel is easy using the proper door trim removal tool.

The key to reinstalling is hanging the top first, and aligning all the clips.

Buy a box of these plastic retainers rather than the assorted variety packs.

Im a stickler for tools. I have 2 set of panel and clip removal tools. Some are for outer panels even.

Sometimes I buy tools. Just because.....LOL

Latest posts