Drive belt

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always had good results with Gates. It'd be interesting to know who makes Motorcraft belts. Wouldn't surprise me if it were Gates. When you remove the old belt give all the rotating bits a spin, especially the tensioner pulley. If anything's questionable now's the time to replace it before you put it back together...

Great advice! I found on my 04 with 90k the idler pulley and tensioner bearings were shot and made noise when spun by hand. I could feel the roughness as I spun them as well. Also clean pulleys as well and check for misalignment. I use Gates or Goodyear Gatorback. Never had a problem with either.

John, here's the other thing: What's condition of your belt? Are there cracks in it? It's very easy to inspect by looking down on to where you can see the ribbed part. If however your belt's in good shape then there's something else that's causing it to squeal - like a tensioner or idler pulley. Let us know what you find.

Latest posts