Dreaded Tranny Bump Returns...Again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2007 V8 4X4 with 48,000 miles on it. About every 10,000 miles I have to take it back to have the module reprogrammed. I think they have replaced it as well. Same problem just came back again. A slip going from 1 -2 on upshift, and a clunk when just about at a complete stop. Any Ideas? Does anybody know the TSB number on this issue by chance?

Also, can the speedo or PCM be reset to accomodate bigger tires?

Thanks

Eric H.

[Broken External Image]:

Eric H - I believe it is TSB 08-4-16. I'm 99% sure this is the TSB that was applied to mine, and has been fine for 20K+ miles. I have the PDF file, but for some dumb reason, I cannot get this file in my library. I'll try later to get this on, and I'll let you know.

If you can find Lil' Red's profile, I think he's got it in his library. Hopefully Lil' Red will see this, and chime in.

Not sure about your bigger tire question, but I bet you can.

I believe the latest TSB is 08-24-04. It is in my library if you want to print it out.

[Broken External Image]:

eric,

that was the MAJOR reason i did not get another trac after my 07 V-8 was having the tranny issues. 3 trips to the dealer (who was annoyed i was bringing it in and back) and it still persisted.

there are a decent amount of members who have this issue (not sure if some others will admit to it), and some that will discount the issue.

again i will say, WHY is this still going on ??????

well best of luck and i hope yours does get repaied and stay trouble free so you can ENJOY your trac

I assume this a not covered under warranty(assuming your warranty has expired)? If not, any idea on cost from anyone who has brought their truck to the dealer? My 07 V8 is starting as well. Other then removing the "bump" does it do anything for gas mileage?

It costs about 75 bucks and the TSB gives them 1 hour tech time to do it. I have been in the extended (ESP) warranty. They waived the fee cause this problem started when the vehicle was almost brand new. I'm a Ford employee, so I am familiar with the CUDL (Customer Data Link) system, and going to request they open a CUDL case. This may have to go to a higher authority.

I have beaten up Jeeps for 20 years and in all that time not had as many problems as I do with this one being babied. Nice truck, but it's not supposed to rattle my teeth every time I come to a slow smooth stop.

I'll keep you posted...going to get some bigger meats under this thing and take it in again...for the fifth time! I might even bring 'em pizza!

Eric H.

Might not be a software issue with yours. Mecatronic could be bad.

I had the latest TSB done at 25K miles on my 2008, I am almost at 45K miles now and the trans has been very nice.

Please excuse my ignorance...but what exactly is the "Mecatronic". This may arm me with more info when I take it back. I know they replaced about 2000 bucks worth of parts once, or so they say, but it did not help. Ran nice for about 1000 miles, then all of the sudden, the bump was back.

Thanks to all of you for the feedback, it is appreciated.

Mecatronic is the valve body assy. Early on, Ford replaced quite a few of these before deciding it was a software issue.

Make sure you have the latest and greatest software installed via the latest TSB, it made a world of difference in mine.

Like you, I was very unhappy with the trans, loved the truck, hated the trans. Now its all good.

Good luck.

If I can offer a suggestion to getting this tranny bump issue taken a little more seriously by Ford, for those who have not been satisfied with the issue being properly corrected - File a safety complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration, Office of Defects Investigation. The Defects and Recalls webpage to file a complaint online is:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

I'm just saying, that sometimes there is "strength in numbers". My experience with this bump problem is intermittent, though for some it sounds like it is frequent. For those that experience it more often then not, if the sensation that the truck is lurching forward at deceleration almost at the stopping point, then I would be inclined to press the matter a little further.

Since there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this, the manufacturer is obviously aware something is going on. If the proposed solution is not fixing the problem in all cases or not completely, is it worth 15 minutes to fill out an online form? Maybe, just maybe a TSB can eventually become a Recall if the numbers and the issue warrant further investigation by nhtsa. Cause aren't Recalls fixed for Free? TSB's typically aren't.

Emphasize the safety concern, what it has cost you at the dealer. The 6-speed tranny that is in my '08 has been out just a couple years, right?

I'm just saying, maybe we can redirect our energies to another source for more action. Nothing ventured nothing gained. :eek:nline:

The TSB 08-4-16 is in my library as mentioned by Lyionpride. Ask your dealer to apply this TSB and it should resolve your tranny issues.

An aftermarket programmer like the XCAL will recalibrate the PCM to adjust for larger tires.

Just an observation:

Shortly after I purchased my '07 ST, Ford "bumped" (pun intended) the factory warranty from 36,000 miles to 60,000 miles. I've had several transmission issues with mine, including the 1-2 bump problem. All of my repairs, including the 1-2 bump re-program, have been covered by the warranty.

For more than you ever wanted to know about my auto trans troubles, search "2007 6-speed."

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Thanks Lil Red: I will talk to them about the TSB 08-4-16, and opening a CUDL case with Ford. I'm going to look into the XCAL too.

Thank you hellhound94 for the search keywords...going to check out your blogs. Glad to hear the warranty covers this issue. Now that you mention it, I also have a little slip going from 1 to 2. Really have to keep the accelerator steady to make it shift smooth. That is a real behavior change for me, and I really don't think I should have to change to accomodate the vehicle, or give up my little off-roading excursions either. Seems like I go through the "Re-Training" steps (0-15mph > 6 sec. stop 5 times) and it gets better. As soon as there is any slip, like on a snow or ice patch, it comes back. Automatic FWD is a little sloppy too.

Thanks again

Eric

Latest posts